cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Honda CRV

Garry_Kostick
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Honda CRV behind our Super C and our first trip the battery was dead every time we stopped. We then started to remove the recommended fuse - that also runs the radio when we are using the car, but that was kinda of a pain, especially when I dropped the fuse and could not retrieve it and we were without a radio for a lot of miles. I enquired with our local Honda dealer about installing a toggle switch, and they instead recommended a switch you put on the battery.

Any thoughts or opinions Good Sammers.......all would be appreciated. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
After arriving in Yosemite with a dead battery, I had a charge line installed.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I made up a toggle switch and in line fuse on ours!
It wasnโ€™t hard to design and wire, but getting that fuse out was a royal PITA !
Whoever decided that was a good location for a fuse panel needs a slap on the Head!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. My solution was to add a battery cut out. See: https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2MZQYP8XQUICI&keywords=battery+disconnect&qid=1564867364&s=gateway&sprefix=Battery+di%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-4

Note: the CRV battery post is smaller than standard, so you might need a shim. See: https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BAF-2-positive-negative-batteries/dp/B0060YI0YS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Battery+shim&qid=1564867989&s=gateway&sr=8-1

We use the valet key when towing, attached to it is a 3x5 card with the tranny routine and the radio reset code.

Norm
F1BNorm

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have Navi the fuse needs to come out or add a charge line.

There is s switch that plugs into the fuse panel.

CRVs have small batteries. I replace mine every two years.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
What braking system were you using on the CRV? What is the brake light on while you were driving because the braking system was not properly adjusted&?
My blue ox braking system on my CRV requires battery voltage to operate the braking system. Some people have run a 12 V charge line from their motorhome to the CRV. My 2004 CRV does not run the battery down unless I do an awful wide of stop and go driving in the auxiliary braking system is activated quite frequently. You can also start and run the CRV at every rest stop did
you stop at and not wait six or eight hours and that would keep the battery charged.
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer