cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Travel with bikes inside their TRailer?

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
I am not interested in a bike rack on the back of our TT. I was wandering if anyone just rolls their bikes into their trailer while traveling? I have not tried to fit the bikes in my 2150RB, but thinking of rapping them in a sheet and putting them in the trailer as we travel to our destination? Thanks for your thoughts. Other option is to put in the bed of the truck, but a short bed with limited space.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
23 REPLIES 23

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to carry our bikes inside leaning against couch (with cargo blanket wrapping bikes to protect the furniture), one bungee cord secured them. Now we have a front hitch with bike carrier. Sometimes the bikes don't even get taken off the carrier.. if we're somewhere that is not secure, we'll remove the seats (quick release) so as not to temp someone from taking them.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, every time I take the bikes with me they ride inside. That's why I got the TT with the bike door.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
I am not interested in a bike rack on the back of our TT. I was wandering if anyone just rolls their bikes into their trailer while traveling? I have not tried to fit the bikes in my 2150RB, but thinking of rapping them in a sheet and putting them in the trailer as we travel to our destination? Thanks for your thoughts. Other option is to put in the bed of the truck, but a short bed with limited space.

Yes, + 2 kayaks and assorted other stuff that we don't want bouncing off from higher up the TT. We cushion the important stuff and just wedge the rest of it in. Upon arrival while I am setting up, DW empties and tidies up interior, cable chaining the bikes and kayaks to the frame. Not that much work, just part of our normal setup/takedown process.

We do have a bike rack for the rear of the TT, but we don't use it. Probably need to drag it out and sell it or give it to someone that wants it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
With our previous Outback TT, we carried bicycles inside the trailer because I had a shell on the bed of the truck. The trailer had opposing living room slides. So, when the slides were in, the bicycles fit great between the opposing couches. A towel over the edge of the couches to keep them clean from touching grease or dirt from the bicycles and they rode just fine.

Now, have a 5er. We have a bicycle for 2 we have not used in several years. We started carrying it along with us again. If we extend the kitchen slide, the LONG bicycle fits comfortably inside the door and rests against the kitchen counter. A bungie cord and a towel to keep sharp edges from rubbing, pull the slide back in, and whola! Off we go!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Double post
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a couple of folding bikes at Camping World years ago. They took up little space in the bed of our truck:

Prior to the truck, I had a Nissan Xterra. Not much room in the back, so we purchased the padded bike storage bags:

These fit nicely in our (then) 25' travel trailer. No worries of damaging anything in the camper, or the bikes. I've traveled with them on the floor, as well as the bed.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Tried it. Not good. The bikes really have to be removed to do much of anything in the trailer.
Jayco-noslide

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We just did a big bike pile on the dinette. We used waterproof sheets under it and between the layers to protect the bikes.

More ideas (it’s written for fifth wheels but works for travel trailers mostly):
https://learntorv.com/bikes-and-fifth-wheels/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
ZINGERLITE wrote:
shum02 wrote:
Mine and my wife's bikes cost several thousands of dollars. Don't think I want them bouncing around on the back of the camper. If I don't have them in the TT I have enough room in the crew cab to also put them in the back seat depending on our trip.

I think thats the deciding factor. a couple of walmart $100 bikes on a harbor freight bike rack attached to the bumper is no big deal. (thats where im at). If they aren't there at the end of the trip its no big deal.

Expensive bikes are a different story.

Actually it is a big deal if one falls off and kills somebody on a motorcycle.
That aside, not bikes but it would work the same. I put my 10.5' kayak on the bed and ratchet strap it down. You could easily do the same with bikes. We put old towels down underneath the kayak.

I did not think about it from that perspective. yikes.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cap on my truck bed, so I bought a front hitch mount. The 2 inch mount is supposed to be rated for my TT but I only use it for a ball mounted bike rack.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bikes have gone in the trailer numerous times with no protblems. Lean them on the sofa and they ride just fine.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
I am not interested in a bike rack on the back of our TT.

I built a bike rack with scrap lumber for the back of our truck and could carry 4 bikes, along with water containers, under awning ground mat, etc.

Once our boys were no longer camping with us and I was only taking a couple of adult bikes I found it just as easy to carry the bikes inside the trailer by simply leaning them at an angle against the queen bed - no shifting, worked just fine. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We did that when traveling one December to avoid road grime from the front rack. We used moving blankets to cover them to protect the furniture. It's a pain to take them out for every stop, however.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Many bikes have quick release wheels. If yours do get a couple of 2x4s and a set of fork mounts and mount them sideways in your truck.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)