cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic wheel well trim looks horrible

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
While washing my 5th wheel I noticed that the plastic trim around the wheel wells still looks dirty although I have tried everything to get them clean. I washed them with different cleaners and even used my pressure washer on them,

What can I do to get them looking good again? The 5th wheel is only a little over two years old.

Thanks!

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
20 REPLIES 20

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Black krylon paint is made for plastic."
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, paint, yes fusion is a good choice, is your best option, after the damage is done. Before finish is damaged, I've had really good results, just using Protect All on my fenders. It makes them easy to clean, and has kept mine from yellowing, even though one side is always in part of the day sun.

Jerry

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Jennifer Koper wrote:
While I havenโ€™t tried this on plastic, I had a number of really obstinate brake powder/grime on the wheels of my f150. A rag and some gasoline works fantastic.

In addition to what "Gdetrailer" posted....using GASOLINE for a cleaning agent is a design for disaster!..:R

Suggest you add a disclaimer to future posts -or- you or the admins/mods remove your post.

Just because it has worked for *you*, there are numerous negative safety implications for someone else who may *not* realize the inherent danger in doing same..:(

~

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
While washing my 5th wheel I noticed that the plastic trim around the wheel wells still looks dirty although I have tried everything to get them clean. I washed them with different cleaners and even used my pressure washer on them,

What can I do to get them looking good again? The 5th wheel is only a little over two years old.

Thanks!

Dave

Personally, I would use either Colorbond or Plasti-Dip instead of any paint. I used Colorbond on my vinyl hose carrier back in about 2010 and Plasti-Dip around the same time on my ABS trim pieces (wheel well trim, LP tank cover, and even the aluminum skirting along the bottom of the trailer). Both have held up suprisingly well. I like these two options since you can periodically used 303 to add aditional protection. The Colorbond is permanent whereas the Plasti-Dip can be removed and refinished with something else.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:

Obviously you have never tried Krylon Fusion paint for plastic.

Obviously I have. For the right applications Krylon works good.

So far, it has held up extremely well for me, I had painted the door window surrounds 11 yrs ago, not one chip or change in the color.

Wheel well trim isn't door and window surrounds. They get a lot more hard wear. Even repainted it will dull eventually.

You truly do not understand the idea that you are no longer a slave to reapply then reapply then reapply over and over until you sell it.

Oh my, a slave! Spray on wheel shine hardly makes a person a slave to anything. It's oh so difficult to use.
Yeah I do understand. But a slave? Nope don't see wheel shine as making anyone a slave to anything unless one is really lazy or infirmed. But if that paining is hardly easier.

So paint if you want. Doesn't matter to me. But save the hyperbole.
Camped in every state

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:

Don't paint. Paint will chip and peal then look worse than what you have now and you'll have a mess trying to get it to look better after that.

Not if the correct paint is used, and the surface is prepped properly. I've painted many flexible plastic panels over the years and have never had any chipping or peeling.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wadcutter wrote:
Use the spray on tire cleaner or what manufacturers call tire shine. Various manufacturers make their own stuff. Can get it at Walmart or any such store. The kind you spray on a tire and let it set. Some are no wipe, others recommend wiping it on. Extremely easy to use. Spray on and forget it. Doesn't hurt paint or chrome. Brings rubber and plastic back to shiny black finish again. I've used it for years on the RV trim and tires, car and truck tires, black plastic trim on vehicles like around the bumpers, truck beds. Also use it on the inside like dash, door panels, instrument panel, etc. Anything with black plastic pops out bright shiny black. It's what used car dealers use it on their cars before putting them on the lot.
Don't paint. Paint will chip and peal then look worse than what you have now and you'll have a mess trying to get it to look better after that.

Obviously you have never tried Krylon Fusion paint for plastic.

I am not a Krylon fan by any means but the Fusion paint is not the same paint that you are referring to.

Fusion creates a molecular bond to the plastic that will not chip.

So far, it has held up extremely well for me, I had painted the door window surrounds 11 yrs ago, not one chip or change in the color.

Painting plastic with paints made for plastic will not only be one and done but also do something that none of the slather on concoctions can do, protect the plastic from UV indefinitely.

You truly do not understand the idea that you are no longer a slave to reapply then reapply then reapply over and over until you sell it.

You can also use these plastic paints as a primer for other paints, so if you can't find the color you want, hit the item with the plastic paint as a primer coat, then go over that with the paint color of your choice.. It will stick better than you think..

Gets pretty good reviews and tips on Amazon..

HERE

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the spray on tire cleaner or what manufacturers call tire shine. Various manufacturers make their own stuff. Can get it at Walmart or any such store. The kind you spray on a tire and let it set. Some are no wipe, others recommend wiping it on. Extremely easy to use. Spray on and forget it. Doesn't hurt paint or chrome. Brings rubber and plastic back to shiny black finish again. I've used it for years on the RV trim and tires, car and truck tires, black plastic trim on vehicles like around the bumpers, truck beds. Also use it on the inside like dash, door panels, instrument panel, etc. Anything with black plastic pops out bright shiny black. It's what used car dealers use it on their cars before putting them on the lot.
Camped in every state

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Krylon spray paint?

As I recall, Krylon or Rustoleum (or both) makes a special flexible paint made just for plastic. Some say it works well. Haven't tried it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jennifer Koper wrote:
While I havenโ€™t tried this on plastic, I had a number of really obstinate brake powder/grime on the wheels of my f150. A rag and some gasoline works fantastic.

Under no circumstances should you ever use Gasoline any other motor fuel or other chemicals on plastics without trying it on something that will not show or not cause collateral damage IF YOUR CHOICE OF CHEMICALS DISSOLVES, MELTS, SOFTENS, DAMAGES the item you are trying to clean/fix.

Wheel skirts are insanely expensive parts to replace not to mention may need to have custom made if damaged depending on the age of the trailer.

Gasoline WILL cause harm to most rubber materials and most likely the plastic used to make the wheel skirt.

The PAINT route with paint RATED for plastic IS THE BEST ROUTE, pretty simple, cheap and effective permanent cure to sun damaged plastic parts.

I painted my door window plastic surrounds which turn an ugly yellow after one or two yrs, they are STILL perfectly white after 11 yrs!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is also for painting them. Mothers Back to Black is a nice product that I've used on my truck trim but I have to re-apply it after every couple of washes. Paint them and be done.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
X2 on the Mothers Back to Black.

Mothers Back to Black is great stuff but on a panel that large, not so much. You'll be reapplying every 3 months or so and that will get old.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Mothers Back to Black.