Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Change the date of Halloween...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Change the date of Halloween...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see where Snickers wants to change Halloween from the last "day" of October (the 31st) to the last "Saturday" of October. I am sure there is a marketing advantage for a candy company to do this and perhaps it could be better for the kids in that parents might be able to supervise better. It would make for a better day perhaps instead of having the rug-rats out on a school night.

It never mattered to me as a kid since I had off on 1 November as it was a Holy Day of obligation recognised as All Saint's Day. But All Hollow's Eve (Halloween)the beginning of the Feast of All Saints culminating on the next day which is the first of November.

Story HERE.

What do you think?

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always liked 'trick-or-treat', but after a good portion of the century under my belt, have a hard time masquerading as a kid anymore.

I do believe changing and combining holidays is just a marketing ploy for businesses that want to use dates or days to an advantage.

Leave dates and days like they've always been... Next thing, Christmas AND New Years will take place on last two Saturdays in December. Black Friday has already become Black Saturday, Black Sunday, and Black Monday. I'm all for celebrating, but celebrate for the right reasons, and on the right calendar days.

Kids of "trick or treat" age should not be out late any nights, whether a school day or not.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change it, for the sake of sanity!!! It seems most schools, community organizations and most Churches have some type of Trick or Treat or Fall Festival type of event and most in our area plan these for a Friday or Saturday night. Kids don't care what night it is, they just know its time to dress up and collect the candy...….

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't consider it a marketing ploy at all. It's more of a safety/convenience issue. It's insanity trying to get home from work in time to greet kids and/or get your own kids out. I'm a traditionalist but sometimes you've got to give consideration to the whole picture.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they took it off the calendar I couldn’t be happier.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoot, if the date doesn't mean anything, move it to the summer weekend when the weather is nicer.

October 31st is All Hallow's Eve, not November 3rd, October 2nd, it's October 31st!

Heck just move it to July 22nd and call it Treat for Kids Day. Why not.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well some holidays the Government can change. Like the celebration of president's day is either on a Friday or Monday by Governmental decree.

But Halloween. Easter, Christmas and St Valentines day (And in fact there is a Saint-feast day for almost every day of the year. if not every day. and on some days 2 or 3) Those are RELIGIOUS holidays.. The Vatican can adjust the dates but .. (And has with many of the "Lesser" Religious hoildays but Halloween literally means the day before All Saints Day.. November 1 by Church decree.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought Halloween had passed.
They have been advertising Christmas decorations and presents for two months and at least two Christmas movies per day.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

If they took it off the calendar I couldn’t be happier.

I thought I was the only one that thought like this. [emoticon]

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halloween is a mixture of customs of pagan and Christian origins. It originated from an ancient Celtic seasonal festival, known as Samhain, to mark the end of the harvest and to remember the dead that is celebrated from sunset on October 31 to sunset on November 1.

Halloween is followed by All Saints' Day (for which it is the vigil) on November 1 and All Souls' Day on November 2. Together the three days of remembrance of the dead form the triduum (a religious observance lasting three days) of Hallowtide.

Move it to 'last Saturday' is a GREAT Marketing Ploy....then it can be 'celebrated' for over a week. ---just like all other holidays have become

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Change the date of Halloween...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.