cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobility scooter questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My health has declined to the point that I can no longer walk long distances. I am considering a mobility scooter to help me get around such as flea markets and we are going to Disney this November.

I know that I want a four wheel scooter as it appears to be the most stable on uneven ground (flea market gravel parking lot). I prefer not to have a carrier as most are to heavy for me to manage hitching and unhitching. I think one that EASILY disassembles and could put in back of car or my truck might be workable for me. The parts must be manageable as far as weight and size.

For those of you that use a mobility scooter what brand do you recommend?

Are there ones that I should avoid?

I found one with a 9 mile range. Is that enough range or should I spend $150 more to get a 15 mile range?

Any idea how long the batteries last before needing replaced?

Any other advice that you can share would be appreciated!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
9 REPLIES 9

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pride GoGo
We have had two for my wife. It works inside our wheelchair accessible Newmar with a wheelchair lift. Long battery life and will do fine on pavement and concrete. Heavy grass will tax the battery but it will go for a while in even that
Breaks down into two pieces of frame, battery pack and seat. Total of 4 pieces
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4 wheel Go Go Pride scooter for my wife. We have had it 2 or 3 years and the battery is still going strong. It breaks down easily and will fit in the trunk of most cars. We usually carry it in our Jeep towed but if we don't pull the Jeep, it will fit in the basement storage area of the motor home. My wife really likes it as she can not walk very far. The heaviest parts are the battery and the power unit but at 74 I have no trouble loading and unloading it. If I remember right it cost about $1200 new and had an advertised range of 12 miles. We have never ran the battery clear down.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
As for mobility scooters and batteries, generally they will use a pair of 12 amp/hr batteries, or a pair of 18 amp/hr batteries, or a pair of 35 amp/hr batteries. They are wired in series for 24 volt operation. I would suggest 18 amp/hr batteries as a minimum for better range. These devices have user weight ratings, and if you approach or exceed the weight limit, the performance suffers. At the maximum weight rating, they will perform and operate, but not near as well, especially going up grades. Also, in very hot weather and demanding driving conditions, many power controllers could go into a thermal roll back (power reduction) sooner if the unit is loaded to the max. I believe most of the main line brand names are well supported by their makers. Purchasing from a reputable dealer would be just as important as which manufacturer you choose. I don't know how well an online dealer can support and remedy a defective unit compared to a brick and mortar store. Mobility scooters are like most mechanical devices, they either run or don't run! Good luck!
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Dare I assume you have already done a Google search for `mobility scooter'?
The latest AARP magazine advertises a Zinger Chair which folds and weighs 47 lbs.

OP here,

Yes I have been doing considerable research but I want responses from people who actually use the scooter to determine which way to go. Also may learn something that will help along the way.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has been using Amigo scooters continuously since 1983. They're extremely well-designed, so that they can be troubleshot & repaired by owners with minimal effort. (When we were living overseas for 9 years, we could obtain parts by airmail and replace most major parts ourselves.) And, it's 100% US made in MI.

As a rehabilitation counselor, DW keeps aware of almost every product on the market and still recommends the Amigo line -- if the client has money or private insurance. Here in Florida, Medicare will only pay for the cheapest product on the market, which Amigo will never be! If you need a seat lift (which full-time users frequently prefer, so that they can reach counters and transfer downhill), Medicare won't -- by Federal law -- pay ANYTHING for your "Personal Mobility Vehicle".

So, it's a matter of "You get what you pay for".

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dare I assume you have already done a Google search for `mobility scooter'?
The latest AARP magazine advertises a Zinger Chair which folds and weighs 47 lbs.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two. I winter in Fl and used ones are easy to find.
I had a Rascal three wheel front steer. Too small.

I switched to a joy stick zero turn type chair which works much better and is very comfortable BUT it isnโ€™t happy in rough terrain or gravel. 15 mile range.

If I got a different one it would be a big four wheeler

Taking one apart and loading inside would not work for me. Way too much work and I would not use the chair as much.

My first carrier was a cheap steel one with a fold down ramp. It did flip up but it was always kind of a pain to lift it up a fit the pin in. It also was low and dragged a lot on angled driveways.

SO! Last winter I shopped Craigslist and found a used Harmar electric lift. I found a like new used one installed for about $700. It changed the paradigm around taking a scooter.
I used to not use or even take the scoot before but it became so simple and easy t flip a switch and have it deploy. It auto folds vertical when empty. It also swings away so you can open your tailgate. Itโ€™s built like a tank. It has built in ratchet straps and is simple to secure the scoot.

If your buying a new scoot the Walmart and cheap China scoots come with poor batteries. Lucky if you get a year. They are mostly throw away products.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have two mobility scooters. The best of the two is a Pride Celebrity X.
The batteries last more than 5 years if they are properly charged. Both are 3 wheel models which are stable on rough ground but can tip if you turn to quickly or a rear wheel catches a curb/rock. The 4 wheel models are much more stable but heavier.

Both scooters break down into 6 pieces. The heaviest parts are the 2 batteries and rear wheels with drive motor. The seats are cumbersome to load and unload.

Ours are rated to go 6 miles on a full charge. We primarily use them to run around the campgrounds and at events like a car show or flea market. I've never measured the distance we have traveled on a single charge but so far we have not had them run out of juice.

The second scooter is by Invacare. It's not quite as nice as the Pride celebrity but works just as well. Both of ours are about 10 years old and still going strong.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
We have one for my MIL. hers is small, (she only weighs about 110) and we have a small carrier that can go on the back of my Truck or Buick.
Some ideas here.
carriers

As to size, remember the batteries are the limiting factor, if you are looking at using it with an RV, ensure you have a good means of recharging while travelling.

9 miles is a long way, but chances are thats with new batteries, a 50 pound child aboard, and all downhill. Look for specifics, and ensure battery size is commonly available so spares or replacements can be easily found.