cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stove painting

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever painted the panels on the outside of a stove?

I've been redoing my 'BTDT' 1975 Fleetwood Prowler,the vintage stove has a black panel on the face of the oven. I'm thinking of painting it and the stove hood a high temp. medium dark Blue. (Haven't done one yet)
Today I started degreasing both.
Simple Green for first wash, and vinegar for the second.
Looks like it may rain everyday for a while. I'll wait for a dry day to paint.
Alabama's high humidity is tough for paint drying.
I'm planning to do 3 coats of paint on each.
No reason to rush the job... I don't like to camp in the dead of Summer in Alabama.
I plan to replace the old Air Conditioning unit sometime this Summer too.
2 REPLIES 2

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used engine paint on the stove and exhaust hood from my Love Bug camper that I rebuilt. I put about 6 very lights coats of paint on everything and let is sit in the sun to get good and hot between coats. I also didn;t rush the job. It turned out great and last time I saw the TT it was still looking good.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that when painting high temp paint on surfaces that will see elevated temperatures, 1970's stove hood in a park style and various exhaust headers, the metal takes the paint better if it is heated prior to painting. The stove hood was heated in the oven to 200ยฐ between coats because that was the lowest the oven would go. The headers were heated with a small propane torch. As the metal is heated, you can see the moisture cook away. The times I tried painting without heated, I had lots of paint peeling issues.