cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are Airstreams low maintenance?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the exterior is concerned, Airstream is supposed to be low maintenance. I'm wondering what maintenance is required and how often. And can it be done by the owner and what is the cost factor?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
14 REPLIES 14

eend
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1993 Airstream to me they are easy to take care of compared to the white box trailers we owned prior. Our last trailer was a 2011 cruiser rv product, I washed /waxed it annually but a leak had sprung and rotted the floor, and started to delaminate. So Iโ€™m done with junk and Iโ€™m happy with my quality build airstream.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
They have similar maintenance requirements as any other TT. Seams need to be checked and sealed as needed - usually about every 5 years. Same with the roof..check annually replace sealant as needed. A good coat of automotive wax once a year (twice is used year around) will keep it looking nice and shiny. What makes the AS a nice option is that it will outlast pretty much every other TT on the road today if cared for. It will also retain it'a value much better in the long run.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Rv'ing is not cheap...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a no maintenance trailer.
I think all of em benefit from TLC, inside and out.
Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.
Some trailers have a steeper learning curve than others.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Airstream. Purchased it used back in '09. Low Maintenance, I don't think so but then I consider maintenance as something you need to do regularly to keep everything looking good and running well.

Yes it has "protected" aluminum skin but you still need to wash and wax it. Your cars and trucks have nicely painted skins and you still need to take care of them. Folks today look for low maintenance so they basically think they don't have to do any maintenance. Vinyl siding is a good example, as are plastic fences.

I owned a white box trailer and the outsides both required much the same attention. What I have found is the the insides, the doors, the drawers, the faucets, the cabinets all require much less "fixing". The exteriors have seams that need to be watched and caulked when needed. The finish on the aluminum is not bullet proof. I have had birds with bad diets deposit stuff on the trailer that has eaten through the clear coat. This is not an easy fix.

So, when you consider everything, Airstreams are not maintenance free. Less perhaps, but that will come back to what kind of owner you are.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
eubank wrote:
Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Actually, the airstream aluminium is clear coated and requires no maintenance except routine washing with a clear coat safe automotive wash. It never needs polishing or other care. No typical black streaks. Sure all appliances are RV and will require some maintenance.

That certainly contradicts what Airstream Inc. recommends in the link above.

What the manufacturer says and what this multiple aowner has learned from pratical experience is two different things. I bet the owner's manual in your vehicle says to wash and wax frequently, too. How many people follow that?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
DownTheAvenue wrote:
eubank wrote:
Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Actually, the airstream aluminium is clear coated and requires no maintenance except routine washing with a clear coat safe automotive wash. It never needs polishing or other care. No typical black streaks. Sure all appliances are RV and will require some maintenance.

That certainly contradicts what Airstream Inc. recommends in the link above.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you might be interested in buying one.
I'd be more concerned with the living space/layout, than the outside, which is where one spends most of their time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way to deny that you are hauling you house down the road at 60+ mph, not to mention the bouncy back roads.

All TTs are going to be exposed to these condition. The tube by its nature is a strong design. However the interior is pretty much the same.

Given the fact that refurbishing old AS units is common tells you they are tough but I am not sure that translates to less maintenance.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Letโ€™s say they are better.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
All RVs are built essentially like ****. If you buy any RV, plan on working on it or paying a lot for someone else to work on it. Don't let anyone convince you that any RV is low maintenance. RVs have a lot of systems and fixing them is part of owning them. The newer and fancier they are, the more stuff there is to break. But even maintaining a furnace, fridge, A/C unit, toilet/shower, and the box itself from water coming inside is plenty of work.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn