Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Are Airstreams low maintenance?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Are Airstreams low maintenance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
joe&julie81

Cleveland, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 01:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the exterior is concerned, Airstream is supposed to be low maintenance. I'm wondering what maintenance is required and how often. And can it be done by the owner and what is the cost factor?


04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

eubank

bosque farms, nm

Senior Member

Joined: 01/17/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/31/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

[emoticon]
Lynn


Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages


BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-us/a........should-I-wash-the-outside-of-my-trailer-

twodownzero

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All RVs are built essentially like ****. If you buy any RV, plan on working on it or paying a lot for someone else to work on it. Don't let anyone convince you that any RV is low maintenance. RVs have a lot of systems and fixing them is part of owning them. The newer and fancier they are, the more stuff there is to break. But even maintaining a furnace, fridge, A/C unit, toilet/shower, and the box itself from water coming inside is plenty of work.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let’s say they are better.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


rbpru

North Central Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way to deny that you are hauling you house down the road at 60+ mph, not to mention the bouncy back roads.

All TTs are going to be exposed to these condition. The tube by its nature is a strong design. However the interior is pretty much the same.

Given the fact that refurbishing old AS units is common tells you they are tough but I am not sure that translates to less maintenance.


Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.


Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you might be interested in buying one.
I'd be more concerned with the living space/layout, than the outside, which is where one spends most of their time.


Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 07/31/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eubank wrote:

Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

[emoticon]
Lynn


Actually, the airstream aluminium is clear coated and requires no maintenance except routine washing with a clear coat safe automotive wash. It never needs polishing or other care. No typical black streaks. Sure all appliances are RV and will require some maintenance.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/31/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

eubank wrote:

Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

[emoticon]
Lynn


Actually, the airstream aluminium is clear coated and requires no maintenance except routine washing with a clear coat safe automotive wash. It never needs polishing or other care. No typical black streaks. Sure all appliances are RV and will require some maintenance.

That certainly contradicts what Airstream Inc. recommends in the link above.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 08/01/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

eubank wrote:

Yes and no. Like any surface, aluminum requires some care and feeding. If done right, you'll have many years of service, perhaps longer than you'll live to enjoy. If not done right (or if not done at all), you'll have yourself a nice, expensive nightmare.

[emoticon]
Lynn


Actually, the airstream aluminium is clear coated and requires no maintenance except routine washing with a clear coat safe automotive wash. It never needs polishing or other care. No typical black streaks. Sure all appliances are RV and will require some maintenance.

That certainly contradicts what Airstream Inc. recommends in the link above.


What the manufacturer says and what this multiple aowner has learned from pratical experience is two different things. I bet the owner's manual in your vehicle says to wash and wax frequently, too. How many people follow that?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Are Airstreams low maintenance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.