Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lifestyle...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a live and let live guy.

I just find it a little funny.

I arrived on a campsite with another RVer. I am this unhitch-and-go (to places I wan to see) RVer.

The other with the huge RV, start unhitching and unpacking. Setting up awning, lawn chairs, bbq, picnic table, spinners -- and eventually the pink flamingo. By the time we arrive early evening, they are still into unpacking and beautifying their campsite.

What's amazing is that they were there for only two nights. We stayed for 5 nights and did not even put out the awning and only took out the lawn chairs to sit by the campire some evenings.

Anyone else seen this often -- or is this you? Lol
53 REPLIES 53

blindeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe that's his thing. He camp cuz he like setting up things but that is just a waste of time.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
Whether it's a day or 10, you gotta get the flamingo's out of the rig for the night, right? Otherwise it's just clutter in your shower. :B

And incessant nagging to set it up from the wifey.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
DW does put out the Flamingo, and I'll eventually get around to the flagpole.

Now if you really want entertainment, go somewhere with a boat launch ramp and set your chair in view of it!:C

And I'm sure you do both a flag raising and singing of the national anthem in the morning?;)

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Whether it's a day or 10, you gotta get the flamingo's out of the rig for the night, right? Otherwise it's just clutter in your shower. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I pull in, level and deploy slides from the driver seat. Extend awning and unroll mat (yes, a big 8'x20' so I can make sure to kill the grass:B), and put my cooler outside on that mat. I'll plug in to electric, but use the freshwater tank and don't dump til I'm ready to head home. At that point (only about 15-20 minutes) I'm reaching for a cold one.

Chairs come out only as needed, and the BBQ grille and sink table if it's getting close to dinner time. DW does put out the Flamingo, and I'll eventually get around to the flagpole.

Now if you really want entertainment, go somewhere with a boat launch ramp and set your chair in view of it!:C
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
... pink flamingos and palm trees. No judgement - just not us.

And I thought you were joking about the palm trees. Saw in CW that they are indeed selling them -- at $99, lol.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
DustyR wrote:
I camp solo and when I'm on the road, need battery power for my CPAP. I can alway start the generator and thats not too much fuss. I nearly always do any shopping before I get to the site. Walmart etc will work on the off nights.
I would say when traveling I'm a minalast, hook up the shore power and thats about it.
I enjoy taking my travel companion Merlin (Keeshond) on a leash and walking and chatting and observing the many sights. Morning walks I always have a coffee cup, good conversation starters.
I guess what ever floats your boat or the Pink Flamingos.

For all we know, decorating is their passion and enjoy doing it.

And for us, it's sightseeing or sitting around on our easy chairs under the pines seeping a cold ones.

You are right, whatever floats.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

We do enjoy seeing the folks that have pink flamingos and palm trees. No judgement - just not us.

Ditto. I watched a guy set up his whirly-gig wind toys and flamingo-like ornaments. He did it really fast. He was skilled and experienced in setting up all the ornaments quickly. In a way I envied him since it seemed he was productive, but on the other hand, I knew I would never put up such stuff.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I camp solo and when I'm on the road, need battery power for my CPAP. I can alway start the generator and thats not too much fuss. I nearly always do any shopping before I get to the site. Walmart etc will work on the off nights.
I would say when traveling I'm a minalast, hook up the shore power and thats about it.
I enjoy taking my travel companion Merlin (Keeshond) on a leash and walking and chatting and observing the many sights. Morning walks I always have a coffee cup, good conversation starters.
I guess what ever floats your boat or the Pink Flamingos.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
paddykernahan wrote:

Now that we have a class B+/C-, have a two minute set-up time.
Never hook up to water or sewer.
No toad so want to be mobile at any time.
Only hook up to 15/20 amp.

I think those of us who don't have toads or tow vehicles, tend to set up a bit simpler, just because a run to the grocery store means disconnecting the vehicle (plus we don't have much room to bring a lot of "stuff" along)
We are that way also - only get out the chairs when we are going to sit in them, and then put them away when we're done. Put water in the tank and no hook ups to water or sewer. Ready to fly anytime.

What's weird is we camp that way whether with our B or with our trailer. I guess we were always B folks even back when we only had a trailer.

We do enjoy seeing the folks that have pink flamingos and palm trees. No judgement - just not us.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:

Now that we have a class B+/C-, have a two minute set-up time.
Never hook up to water or sewer.
No toad so want to be mobile at any time.
Only hook up to 15/20 amp.

I think those of us who don't have toads or tow vehicles, tend to set up a bit simpler, just because a run to the grocery store means disconnecting the vehicle (plus we don't have much room to bring a lot of "stuff" along)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

If Im at a full hook up site, I don't even hook up the sewer line until Im about ready to dump, or if Im bored... which ain't often.

Mike

You are so wise kemosabe!

I had to endure a night of stinky sleep when I made a dump while hooked up and forgot to close the flap to the dark tank.

The smell of other people's waste came wafting into the inside of the RV because I'm too lazy to go out in the cold to close it. And I thought opening the windows will do it.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Maybe this discussion hints at why boondockers are so happy ... no other campers are around to see how the boondockers are camping, and no other campers are around for the boondockers to see how the other campers are camping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I miss this before-wife camping.

Just pull down the back seat of my SUV and sleep on insta-air mat and cover of sleeping bag (when it's cold) on the floor.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess Im somewhere in the middle of the road. When I pull up, I level, hook up water and electric, take out the chairs, maybe deploy awning and pop a cold one.

Im usually not ready to immediately unhook and head out to see the sites. I like to relax after a days drive.

Shortly therafter, I'll pull out the grill etc, if we are cooking, or we get ready to try some local fine dining.

Maybe between that time, wife pulls out some of the yard art, which Im fine with. She deploys it where she wants, I re-deploy upon completion of our trip.

If Im at a full hook up site, I don't even hook up the sewer line until Im about ready to dump, or if Im bored... which ain't often.

Takes me less than an hour to setup. Certainly can't get it done in 5-7 minutes like some say. Im not in that big of a hurry. Heck, it probably takes me longer than that to unhook and level. I actually enjoy puttering around setting up.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS