cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows update before hell freezes over

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Good lord, an hour and 10 minutes and I'm still seeing "Working on updates.. 24%. Don't turn off your PC." What is it doing.. downloading the Library of Congress ?

I'm about ready to throw it across the room.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
35 REPLIES 35

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

The latest windows update disabled my sound card.

The solution was to delete the driver, reboot, and then download a new driver.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I just schedule updates for 2 AM. No muss, no fuss.

Bingo!!
Id like to see the specs on some of the computers posted above.

Been in the IT support side for 30 years! Do t miss it!

I suggest just two programs, both free;

AVG free anti virus.
SuperAnti spyware.

Programs like the full suite of Norton will slow older pc's to a crawl!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I just schedule updates for 2 AM. No muss, no fuss.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The update hassle is one of the main reasons I switched from Microsoft to Mac. I found that I was spending a significant percentage of my office time just keeping Windows up to date.

I don't know how Apple does it, but almost all of the updating happens in the background -- no hassle at all.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
joebedford wrote:
My external hard drive lives in my safety deposit box when not being used to run a backup.

In your safe deposit box at your bank? Sounds like a royal PITA.
IMO it sounds like he wants to be better safe than sorry, nobody can tamper with them, and they're not going to be damaged in case of fire or other catastrophes. If he's close to the bank, not that big of a deal. Beats relying on Google or MS to keep your data secure.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
My external hard drive lives in my safety deposit box when not being used to run a backup.

In your safe deposit box at your bank? Sounds like a royal PITA.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before any W10 major update I run Macrium Reflect (free version) and do a full image backup. Before the next major update I periodically create updated images.

Then every week or so I use FreeFileSync to update my data. "My data" is all in a single folder with many sub folders and files which results in minimum setup and all files will be backed up. The initial backup is lengthy as all of the data has to be backed up but then only new, deleted and changed files are updated. The backup is a copy of all files and data and can be copied to any other computer.

All of my backups are to a external hard drive that is only plugged in for the updates.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Windows updates are huge and now GBs with W10. I change the power settings to remain on, download and leave or go to bed.

But FIRST AND FOREMOST I always wait several months before allowing W10 major updates. Soon after EVERY W10 update there are always updates to the updates to the update. W10 Pro and phone connection offer the maximum update delays.

With the W7 end near I bit the bullet for a full sized laptop, SSD (solid state) drive and 16GB memory. Oh my it is fast! Purchased online (a wide variety available) from Costco with 2 year HP warranty plus 2 year Costco warranty using the Costco credit card.

I made sure the new laptop had W10 Pro and the dual boot hardware capability.I'm considering dual booting W10 and a Linux variant. Time will tell...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe look at adding as much memory as the motherboard allows? I fixed a similar issue where everything was slow - especially on startup. Only had 4 GB of memory.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of years ago I switched my laptop over to linux Mint Cinnamon - it updates when I tell it to, and the updates have never taken more than 5 minutes to download and install. I keep the laptop as a dual-boot with Windows 8.1 because I have 2 programs that will not run in linux, even with using PlayOnLinux. I have to boot into Windows maybe 2 or 3 times per year.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I messed my wifeโ€™s computer up, installed a new ssd drive (laptop), downloaded the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS install iso, put it on a thumb drive, installed it on her computer, updated, as the installer didnโ€™t have the latest. Synced her Firefox account, copied her wallpaper, done.
Less than 90 minutes.
-- Chris Bryant

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
One of the things you want to do with W10 is select the option of picking and choosing your updates. (sorry, I cant rem where that is hidden). When I did that, I found that I really didn't need the multiple gigabytes of Chinese and Vietnamese language and such and my updates went much faster.
(seriously, theres a LOT of that kind of cr@p in the updates)

If you aren't a fulltimer and have a stick built place you hang out as well as an RV, you may want to consider Win 10 Pro for your travel computer/laptop. I made sure and bought our new laptop with Win 10 Pro. With Win 10 Pro, when you go camping, you can tell the system you are on a metered connection, and it won't download any Win updates while metered.

That's good to know too.
(fwiw, I run Ubuntu. Too much microsoft spyware in W10 for me)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I knew there was a good reason not get rid of my Windows 7 boxes.

There's definitely a lot of "sharing of data" with Windows 10. Too much IMO, if I want Microsoft to know something I would like to be the one to tell them, not my computer without my permission.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"