Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: MN new laws August 1st
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> MN new laws August 1st

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

They had a quick look and realized they had the wrong vehicle but also pointed out that his blacked out windows were illegal in that state and they could tell him he had to be towed out of state.

Rather than towing, couldn’t he have just rolled the window down and left it that way until he was out of state? [emoticon]

The window tint reg’s in many states set a limit on how much tint you can have side windows other than the front two side windows.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I will even cross the street against the light. How's that for being a scofflaw!

Well I never, that borders on felony status. My state safety inspection expired 7-31, I guess I'm an outlaw too LOL.

* This post was edited 08/04/19 09:46am by BillyBob Jim *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO there's a difference between "scofflaw" and "outlaw":

An outlaw is a lawless person or a fugitive from the law: "Jesse James was an outlaw, whose crimes inspired many books."

A scofflaw is a contemptuous lawbreaker--especially of minor laws such as parking regulations: "The scofflaw had four parking tickets and ignored them all."

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

IMO there's a difference between "scofflaw" and "outlaw":

An outlaw is a lawless person or a fugitive from the law: "Jesse James was an outlaw, whose crimes inspired many books."

A scofflaw is a contemptuous lawbreaker--especially of minor laws such as parking regulations: "The scofflaw had four parking tickets and ignored them all."

I prefer Outlaw, its just a lot more cool.
Willie and Waylon, Thomasson and Paul, Bonnie and Clyde, Frank and Jesse, Billybob and Jim, LOL.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scoundrel. I like the sound of that. Just don't call me scruffy looking....

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

There's plenty of times that we move into the left lane because the right lane is terribly bumpy. The law keeping people out of the left lane is insane. I like the law in Arkansas, don't impede traffic in the left lane.

So that makes you somehow exempt from the law because you think your rig doesn't ride to your liking on certain roads? What is in fact insane is the thought that somehow we are above the law and it is ours to ignore!
Not insane, common sense. Rote obedience is ridiculous. Blindly obeying ordinances even when there's no good reason, is absurd. If there's no cars around, I will even cross the street against the light. How's that for being a scofflaw!

It is so heartening that we have so many "common sense" people who make up their own minds as to what is right and wrong. So grateful people can decide independently when obeying ordinances they disagree with is absurd. We seem to have a lot of that going on lately.
I'm curious what you do about the long-forgotten laws that are still on the books in places. Do you make sure you obey those too? What about Jim Crow laws? Don't forget to obey all of these:

In Cleveland it's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license.
Columbus archives say that it is illegal for stores to sell cornflakes on a Sunday.
In Ohio it's illegal to kill a housefly within 160 feet of a church without a license.
Oxford law states it is unlawful for a woman to appear in public while unshaven. This includes legs and face.

And don't forget "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

I'm sorry, but you must know what a dumb post that really is. The laws you mention are all very old and simply examples of outdated ones that have not been repealed. What is being discussed here is contemporary and problematic. These laws are being passed in many states to reaffirm what has long been safety concerns, common sense courtesy and reasonableness of slower traffic keep right.

All this... I watch and move over when I see traffic approaching is BS and even those stating it know better. The closing speed of modern traffic where passenger cars are over taking slow moving and cumbersome RV's, often 50 feet or more in length, represents a problem. But, here we have a representation of those ignorant of the problem and thinking they are more important, choosing to ignore the law because they don't like the "ride".

It is great you choose to meander down the highway causing problems, ignoring the rights of others, and considering yourself far more knowledgeable than the general public. You, Sir, represent the attitudes that cause the general public to dislike the RV users.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you, no sir for you, are so very wrong it isn't even funny. And a good example of how wrong a person can be when they draw erroneous conclusions from reading what they think they read. Heck, you'd have called for the arrest of the Boston Tea Party participants for littering the Boston Harbor.

Many of those old laws you contemptuously refer to, probably at one time were "contemporary and problematic". Imagine that.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I’m not going to go to jail for breaking a law then I’ll take my chances. Sometimes it’s better to do what has been declared illegal than to do the right thing and take a chance endangering yourself or someone else. And yes, I’m going to make the decision based on the immediate circumstances rather than around a law that was passed because of some crying about not being able to do 80 mph in the left lane in a 75mph zone.
Yes, I’m that guy!

As for laws, hows this for a stupid law. On the Chain Of Lakes in Northern IL they passed a law requiring a person on the botat to hold a flag when someone is tubing or skiing. A family with connections had a child get run over by a drunk boater and killed. Well they petitioned this new law and it passed. All great. But WTH good is it when the person in the water is the one that should have the flag! The law is ridiculous at best. The flag is not going to stop a drunk from running over someone. But it passed because someone said it should. You can have all the laws you want. If they aren’t realistic then they are useless.

* This post was edited 08/05/19 11:39am by dodge guy *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> MN new laws August 1st
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.