cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ticking time bomb under the hood

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two of my friends had the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump grenade in their 2012 F350s with the 6.7 liter Diesel. It took out the entire fuel system and injectors.

Both trucks had over 130,000 miles on them. One got Ford to pay for part of the repair the other didn't. One was out $7000 and the other $16,000. I had 118,000 miles on mine so I opted to not wait and had mine replaced for $2700 parts a labor plus tax. Apparently the Bosch pump needs more lubricity than US ULSD provides. Oh and the other diesel engine s use the same pump. Do a Google search, there are even class action lawsuits in the works.

Anyways back on point. The repair only takes a day, one dealer local to me wanted to take 5 days at twice the labor charge while one 30 miles away did in in one day for half the price so shop around.

Here is my parts invoice as a heads up

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
91 REPLIES 91

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I would only highlight again, that the bypass kit does not prevent pump failure, but protects injectors from the debris.
I still think that knowing the pump failure happens at 160-180k miles, the proper maintenance would be putting new pump at 150k.

True, with one possible exception: With a lift pump, you may be less likely to starve the CP4 for fuel, which is what causes the destruction. The lift pump will push fuel into it rather than depending upon vacuum to pull it. I don't know this for a fact...just speculation.

This the way my Cummins is. There is an overflow valve that sends excess fuel back to the tank after it has helped to cool the injection pump. We have to maintain a minimum of 14 p.s.i. to keep the overflow valve open and provide maximum cooling. I also now believe this discussion about cavitation has a lot of Merit. Thank you for that.

I add TCW 3, 2 cycle oil in the fuel, equal to 1 ounce per gallon of ULSD. Tests show it gets it to Bosch specs required by lower scoring values. This I don't know if applies to Ford Bosch injection pumps.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
I would only highlight again, that the bypass kit does not prevent pump failure, but protects injectors from the debris.
I still think that knowing the pump failure happens at 160-180k miles, the proper maintenance would be putting new pump at 150k.

True, with one possible exception: With a lift pump, you may be less likely to starve the CP4 for fuel, which is what causes the destruction. The lift pump will push fuel into it rather than depending upon vacuum to pull it. I don't know this for a fact...just speculation.

LastOfTheBohica
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been on the forums for a long while. It sucks to here that this is still biting people in the ass.

I had this happen to my 2011 F350 at approximately 17,000 miles. I was lucky that it was covered under warranty. There was another user on the forum that was not as lucky.
Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
I'm only familiar with Cummins. Does this injection pump being discussed have return fuel? Or is the fuel system returning fuel from each injector?

I ask because if the return fuel does come from both injectors and the injection pump, wouldn't it benefit by putting greater fuel flow, more volume and fuel pressure to increase return flow and thereby increase injection pump cooling?

My understanding is that it’s an issue with cavitation not cooling. It’s designed to not require a lift pump. This means the fuel that the cam lobe and bottom of the piston sit in is also the same fuel that is later pressurized and sent on the injectors. If there’s a fuel delivery problem between the tank and pump it can cause the piston/cam to cavitate and disintegrate and the pieces go everywhere downstream and unfiltered.

The bypass kit option someone built for it sends the lubrication fuel back to the tank and separately pressurizes other untouched fuel but requires a lift pump to push fuel toward it rather than it sucking fuel toward it.

There’s a good explanation with pictures here: https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-ss-diesel-motorsport-s-cp42-bypass-kit/

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only familiar with Cummins. Does this injection pump being discussed have return fuel? Or is the fuel system returning fuel from each injector?

I ask because if the return fuel does come from both injectors and the injection pump, wouldn't it benefit by putting greater fuel flow, more volume and fuel pressure to increase return flow and thereby increase injection pump cooling?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here. We had our 2006 6.0 for 12 years and it never saw the inside of the dealer's shop. Changed oil and filter every 5k. Changed the fuel filters when required. Ran PM22 through every tank. Never chipped it. Never lugged the motor, drove it like a 4 cyl Yoter. My buddy still drives it.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
6.0s sucked before ulsd came out. But looks like you’re lucky with one or that snake oil actually works!

Not much luck involved. I updated everything that needed updating and am very particular about preventive maintenance and make all my own repairs. I don't let monkeys wrench on my stuff. Hasn't left me on the side of the once. No, not true. The fan clutch went out. Had to limp it to a Napa. Bought a new one and installed in about 20 mins. Back on the road. Other than that, no problems.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
6.0s sucked before ulsd came out. But looks like you’re lucky with one or that snake oil actually works!

As you probably know, all of the issues with the 6.0 were known by 2004. Ford had a lot of remedies. Bulletproof can make the rest.

And it’s not snake oil to use an additive if you don’t drive them much and have a variable geometry turbo like a 6.0. The blades will rust together if you don’t drive them much in the NW and don’t use an additive.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I always add about 25% more addictive than recommended. Won't hurt. But, if not done at EVERY fill up well....BOOM. Eventually. I'm almost at 145K using Archoil. I guess it's working, til it isn't.

You can thank your gov't for the ULSD.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
The site says they still work on filters for Powerstroke, so sounds like Dodge needs them more 😉

Well, if 4 microns sounds good to you, then fine.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Baldwin makes the best filters and AC Delco right now makes the best Cummins water pumps other than factory.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
The site says they still work on filters for Powerstroke, so sounds like Dodge needs them more 😉

True statement! On the 3rd and 4th Gens up to 2012 anyway.
I drank the kool aid after my original injectors started getting weak at 120k miles.

Anymore, I think all the OEs finally have fuel filtration figured out....over 10 years after high pressure injection was introduced to pickup trucks....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold