cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer antenna coax

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I have very little experience with coax cables in general, so my frame of reference is limited here. My cable conductor (inner wire) broke off and is jammed into the antenna (Winegard standard Sensar) and I've decided to replace the head with the updated version instead of messing around trying to replace the male plug in. The problem is, I have to crimp another end on the cable to attach to the new head and the cable does not fit the crimp sleeve that came with the tool. The coax which comes from the box in the entertainment center to the roof antenna is slim and won't slide over the crimp sleeve as necessary to hold it in place. The inner sleeve on the new end won't fit down inside the coax outer cover with the shield wires folded back.

Are there many different sized coax crimp ends? I thought it was a standardized thing but appears not.

If I decided to run a new cable, are there outdoor grades, or will any coax work? I already have a new extension cable but can find nowhere on the package where it mentions if it's for outdoor use.

Thoughts? Another 10min job turned into an excursion in frustration. Thanks for any insights.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
9 REPLIES 9

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to an article by Chris Bryant about maintenance of the Batwing antenna and how to install an F connector:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130814121735/http://blog.rv.net/2008/06/tech-tune-up-your-tv-antenna
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
The tool I bought came with type "F" connectors and they arent going to work. The cable is just too small for the inner sleeve. I have found crimp connectors at Lowes and my buddy at work has the crimp tool, so I am going to go that way and hope it works out. Another 10 min job that takes 3 days. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Thanks for all the help!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The best F connectors for RG59 or RG6 are called "Snap-N-Seal". The connectors are bit more expensive, but worth the additional cost. I have yet to find a REASONABLY priced installation tool !

The Belden/Thomas & Betts IT-1000 is a good tool (stripes coax and presses Snap-N-Seal connectors on), but even used on eBay, it sells for $40-$50.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the short OTA TV run, the existing RG-59 is just fine. You just need to go grab the smaller F connector. Lowes/Home Depot should have it. Ace Hardware, as well. Most any small electronics supply store. Your existing crimper will work with the smaller connector.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The RG59 that Winegard uses specs out as good as most RG6. They use Belden. The extra flex can be good on an antenna that cranks up and down and rotates.
-- Chris Bryant

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
RG59 is the cheap **** they have. most places use a thicker cable RG6.

you can get RG59 connectors at hardware stores and etc. or order a few extra from amazon.

learn
https://www.google.com/search?q=rg59+vs+rg6+coax&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS817US830&oq=rg59+vs+rg6+coax&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.15580j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Stock will be RG59.
-- Chris Bryant

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
take a look at the cable and see if it is marked RG-6 or RG-59.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle