cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 West of Memphis

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of traveling from Memphis, TN to Elk City, OK. Is I-40 as bad as I remember it? Are there any better routes pulling a 40" fiver?
9 REPLIES 9

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Road conditions were pretty good when we went though a while ago. Also was during the night so zero traffic.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic on I40 is bad with semis running the left lane and blocking up the whole state it seems.Once west of Ft Smith it opens up a lot. Oklahoma laws on left lane use really work....for the most part.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was on it it was pouring rain. Someone spun out in the median, troopers blocked the left lane. I slowed down and turned on my flashers. 18 wheeler apparently didn't see what was happening and almost ran over the trooper. Be careful in the rain.
Road was good though.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
This is a route we take several times each year as it is our gateway to anywhere northeast of home. Yes, the truck traffic is heavy both on I-30 to Little Rock and on I-40 on to Memphis--sometimes trucks in both lanes of the highway, but . . . I, too, have found the drivers to be courteous and careful as they can be under those circumstances. The bottom line is that I can travel at my own speed almost without exception and feel no hesitation to use this route. The surface is better than on many other Interstates.

WITH ONE EXCEPTION: If it is raining I will try to find any alternate I possibly can. The spray from the trucks makes driving for me very dangerous because of decrease in visibility. That would be true of any highway with much truck traffic.

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled I-40 west between Memphis and Little Rock two round trips lately. The construction is mostly complete and the roadway is very smooth. Heavy truck traffic but they keep moving which allows me to maintain a smooth 63-65 MPH.

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Have traveled that route a number of time, last time was last fall. Though there is a good amount of truck traffic, I have always found the truckers to be very considerate, as a whole, and much more so on this road as opposed to other "super slabs". I don't know why this is but all the insanity seems to simmer down the moment I am on I-40.

Take it for what its worth and have a great trip! Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use US 64 also - very pleasant drive.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Just traveled that route twice in the past two weeks. Many, many trucks but after traveling in Indiana, Michigan and Illinois we felt the roads in Arkansas were great! I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock was not bad at all IMHO
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
It's as bad, or worse: bumper to bumper truck traffic between Memphis and Little Rock. You might think about using US 64, which reconnects with I-40 at Conway, AR. That avoids the heavy truck traffic and also bypasses the Little Rock traffic.