cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dempster Hwy Planning Questions

Teoma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my wife and are flying into Whitehorse Yukon and plan to rent a RV and drive the Dempster Hwy and also the fist section of the Top of the World Hwy out of Dawson City.We will have about 10-14 days of driving and camping time. We want to drive and camp during the Fall colors. So our questions are:
1. Any suggestions on a rental company (out of Whitehorse)that would rent a camper or pickup truck that would allow travel all the way up the Dempster Hwy?
2. What weeks would you travel to get the best Fall colors?
Thanks,
Ambrose
8 REPLIES 8

Teoma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, thanks for the info and suggestions. Unfortunately something has come up and we will not be able to go this yr. Oh well, maybe next yr we will have the time to drive and take our trailer to see the Fall colors. Those photos look great. I did want to let people know that we did find two rental companies that do allow their rentals on the Dempster Hwy: One is called GoNorth car and RV Rental. The other company is Driving Force Rentals.
Ambrose

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yukon's Top of the World Highway is also very colorful in September.

However, the Alaska side (Taylor Hwy) can be very busy with hunters in September so don't plan any hiking. As well, the campgrounds and pull-offs are usually very full with camping hunters.

Here's the Top of the World in September
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoy the Dempster Hwy Drive, especially camping and hiking around Tombstone park campground. See my pictures of that route at http://yukonsights.ca/DempsterHwy.html

Fall colors can be very nice - this is near Tombstone in September 1993
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Teoma wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion of the 2 rental companies. Has anyone heard of the rental companies Driving Force or Go North? If so, any feedback? Looks like they might have rentals for those roads. Judging from the pictures of Sue Thomas there is a lot of color in the Fall in the Far North. Not hardwood trees but other kinds of vegetation. It doesn't last long and that's why I am trying to get a good estimate of when to get there. We have driven up to Alaska and Yukon several times before but never in the Fall. Unfortunately we don't have the time this year.
Thanks,
Ambrose

You are right, it can be quite colorful in places. It isn't so much the trees, it is the shrubbery and even smaller vegetation on the slopes.
See the Tombstone Territorial Park pictures.
We were in Tombstone after mid Aug and color was starting. We were in Denali prior to Labour day and it was getting quite colorful. I think maybe a period centred around Sept 1 might work.
Why don't you email the Tombstone Interpretive Centre for their thoughts on the best time.
Perhaps they even know of some RV rentals that service that area.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have rented a Dodge PU with a camper in Anchorage and had a great time. Some highways are off limits. Fall starts at the end of August. There will be plenty of colors in early Sept, but still decent hours of daylight because twilight lasts so long. You will be able to see the Northern Lights. Early Sept is one of the best times to travel in the North, and the tourists are mostly home by then.

Teoma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion of the 2 rental companies. Has anyone heard of the rental companies Driving Force or Go North? If so, any feedback? Looks like they might have rentals for those roads. Judging from the pictures of Sue Thomas there is a lot of color in the Fall in the Far North. Not hardwood trees but other kinds of vegetation. It doesn't last long and that's why I am trying to get a good estimate of when to get there. We have driven up to Alaska and Yukon several times before but never in the Fall. Unfortunately we don't have the time this year.
Thanks,
Ambrose

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 rental companies in Whitehorse are Canadream and Fraseway. You would have to check directly with them to see if they allow you to travel your intended route.
When we were in Whitehorse mid August 2016, there was already some colour change happening. Summer season starts late and ends early in the North.
If you do drive the Dempster, don't forget that the Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk road is now open and you can drive all the way to the Arctic Ocean!
Happy travels
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you'll find anyone that will rent you an RV for that route. You'd be better off buying something inexpensive, and driving it up there. If it gets damaged, no liability to a rental company.
Are there a lot of deciduous trees up there?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)