cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road closure (detour) questions

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Goshen, IN this weekend. But in checking travel information, there are a couple of bridge closures that will affect us.
Our normal route is to take I70 to Kansas City, north on I435 to 152 and across to I35. This lets up miss all of downtown KC. But the bridge at 152 and I35 is closed for reconstruction. It looks like we would have to go east on 152 to I435 then north to 291 to get over to I35. Height restrictions is always a concern. Is there another way that would work or should we stick to this plan.
We also take I57 in Illinois north to US24 then east on US24. There is a bridge closure in Remington. The posted detour is north at Goodland, across on 16 and south on US231. That detour only takes us four miles north so it would be doable. My question is if there are streets in Remington with sufficient height clearance so we wouldn't need to take the detour.
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Kankakee, IL just north of US 24 and I-57. If the detour bothers you, continue north on 57 to the 2nd Kankakee exit (Rt 17) and head east. You'll come into Momence, then use IL 114 which becomes IN 10. You have a choice to take I-65 north to I-80 or stay on IN 10 and meander through Indiana to Goshen as you move east and north.
Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
GizmosMom wrote:
We just traveled on Highway 24 in Indiana and Illinois. Had to take the detour around Goodland. Was kind of a pain but smooth sailing. About 20 miles our of our way.

^^^^^^ This. Also just did this last week. About 30 minutes out of the way but not a problem. Detours around both Goodland and Remington.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone headed to Goshen or anywhere else in Indiana should avoid Indianapolis like the plague. It seems like we have more interstates closed than open along with GenCon in town and the state fair starting today. The traffic jams have been worse than Atlanta!! Don't plan on passing through--drive around.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove a truck around the KC area for decades. If I was coming east on I 70, planing to leave town on I 35 north, and no construction, not rush hour, I would come right thru town, I 70, I 670, I 35. but I know the interchanges downtown. For you look at I 635, to I 29 south to I 35 north.
Mo state highway 92 is a good road, but 2 lane. If I was grossing less than 100,000 across there, and needing to go north I 35, I know a way to take county roads up to get on at Holt, dodge the traffic mess that is Karney.
In the metro area, if you stay on roads marked as state, number or letter or US highway there is only a couple of bridges you need to worry about, and that is in the old north east area, about 6 blocks north and 45 blocks east of down town.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-435 to 152 then go north on 169 to 92 east to I-35. Cuts the two lane, 92, driving in half.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We just traveled on Highway 24 in Indiana and Illinois. Had to take the detour around Goodland. Was kind of a pain but smooth sailing. About 20 miles our of our way.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
take I 435 up to I 29, then exit onto highway 92 and take that east all the way to I 35. It's a two lane road, but we use it every year with our rig.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
One of the easiest ways I've found to determine if a specific route is passable with a tall RV is to pull up Google Maps Satellite image. Then zoom in on your projected route. Follow the road and see if there are any big-rigs (18 wheeler trucks) in the images. If so, you'll have no problem navigating either.

You can also then use "peg man" and drop him along the route and look at the ground view. If you do it right, you'll see the height clearance posted on the underpasses in the imaging. This helps me a lot.