cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering getting a truck camper

JamesDean1234
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X. I'm strongly considering getting a used truck camper if I can find a good deal and one that actually fits my 5 ft bed. Is there anything I should know, take into consideration, helpful tips, etc.
Thank you in advance for any advice, information, and personal experiences.
14 REPLIES 14

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started with a truck camper on my one ton Ford. I wanted to pull a boat and a horse trailer. My girl described the TC as too much trouble for a short trip and not enough room for a long trip.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
JamesDean1234 wrote:
I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X. I'm strongly considering getting a used truck camper if I can find a good deal and one that actually fits my 5 ft bed. Is there anything I should know, take into consideration, helpful tips, etc.
Thank you in advance for any advice, information, and personal experiences.

There are a few out there that will fit your truck but they are few and far between...If you get a conventional TC like a Lance etc,your going to have to much camper for your truck limiting where you can take it..It certainly can be done but I doubt you would be happy with the outcome..

Many times I have put a shell type on the back of my PU and did the inside as I wanted it.A couple turned out pretty cool..There not heavy or high and do not limit where you can go...

Example:Shell Truck Campers
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just talking a couple yesterday in the mountains. They had a Toyota truck and just graduated from a pop up camper to a small travel trailer. They were absolutely in love with their trailer and all the room even in a single axle easy to pull TT./

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
TopperEZlift

A truck "shell" that can lift 20 inches with tent sides. Very small but enough headroom to move around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Meh, consider a better platform even in a compact truck for a small camper. Or rind the smalles pop up they make and shore up the truck.
At a bare min, I'd want a longer bed Taco or Colorado.
And temper your expectations. You'll have to do some suspension mods to any small truck to even think about hauling a small 6' long popup.
It's doable though. Just do a little research.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
It will be very small. Issue with TC's is that the rails of the truck bed take up space where a trailer or Class C would have for storage.
I have a full size truck with 8 foot bed, and had a 10' long popup camper once. It was small!
For one or two nighters small works. No shower, no storage, but you are inside and have built-in appliances (stove, fridge, sink) and a feeling of being in a camper.
Popups are tents as far as noise and insulation go.
Putting the TC on, taking it off are not anywhere near as quick as hooking up a trailer.

Cool thing about TC is camper goes anywhere truck goes, but for something that small, you can pull a small trailer a lot of off-road places too. A little truck like this is not going to be doing a lot of rock crawling with a camper in the bed anyway, so what difference is a high-clearance trailer?

I had a popup TC. Hated it. Sold it.
Bought a popup-style trailer (not a popup, but one like a popup TC, just on wheels). Sold it.
Bought a HILO trailer, still not happy. Sold it.
Bought a full-size 10 foot TC. Happy.

You can find adventure just in buying different campers 😉

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
A 4Wheel camper or Palomino Backpack is all I think are available in that size. And you'll still need some springs work I bet.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'd consider getting a new truck first. Something a bit larger.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a CA company, 4 wheel campers???????????? makes a very light one that I priced out to fit my 5 1/2 bed at $26,000 IIRC
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the truck’s payload number minus passengers and stuff?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small pick-up with a 5 foot bed is a poor choice for a camper. Maybe you can find a pop-up camper, but it will not have much room.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
What is your rear axe capacity? Spring capacity? Wheel and tire max load?
Maybe this or this.
But both would be pushing it a lot I suspect. And finding used? I don't know.
Cal

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be able to carry a small popup; i.e., canvas sided, truck camper. That is it.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
You will VERY limited on what truck camper you will be able to carry on that truck. Pretty much a tent on the truck bed.