Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Considering getting a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Considering getting a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meh, consider a better platform even in a compact truck for a small camper. Or rind the smalles pop up they make and shore up the truck.
At a bare min, I'd want a longer bed Taco or Colorado.
And temper your expectations. You'll have to do some suspension mods to any small truck to even think about hauling a small 6' long popup.
It's doable though. Just do a little research.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TopperEZlift

A truck "shell" that can lift 20 inches with tent sides. Very small but enough headroom to move around.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just talking a couple yesterday in the mountains. They had a Toyota truck and just graduated from a pop up camper to a small travel trailer. They were absolutely in love with their trailer and all the room even in a single axle easy to pull TT./

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JamesDean1234 wrote:

I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X. I'm strongly considering getting a used truck camper if I can find a good deal and one that actually fits my 5 ft bed. Is there anything I should know, take into consideration, helpful tips, etc.
Thank you in advance for any advice, information, and personal experiences.

There are a few out there that will fit your truck but they are few and far between...If you get a conventional TC like a Lance etc,your going to have to much camper for your truck limiting where you can take it..It certainly can be done but I doubt you would be happy with the outcome..

Many times I have put a shell type on the back of my PU and did the inside as I wanted it.A couple turned out pretty cool..There not heavy or high and do not limit where you can go...

Example:Shell Truck Campers

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with a truck camper on my one ton Ford. I wanted to pull a boat and a horse trailer. My girl described the TC as too much trouble for a short trip and not enough room for a long trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Considering getting a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS