Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2nd AC and Vent cover questions

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Our Travel trailer has 50amp service and is pre-wired for a second AC in the bedroom. Didn't think I needed it until this week where the entire week was 90+ and the single AC ran all day and barely kept up (37' TT). 2 parts to my questions..

- Should I consider attempting this install myself or let the dealer do it? If myself, where do you suggest buying the AC?

- The ceiling vents in this camper are the type that spin but they don't close. I have had previous campers where you could close the vents. Any suggestion on where I can find vents that do both (close and turn/aim)? If we add the second AC I will want to close the vent in the Master bedroom to force more air to the back of the camper.

Anything else I should consider??

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
I've changed an A/c Out before, due to failure. If you have a basic understanding of electrical work it's not very hard.

As mentioned, the hardest part is getting the roof unit up on top. My approach may seem strange but it worked. Set unit on end at base of aluminum ladder and used a rope to pull it up onto the slide room. Son helped move it from there. Helps to have someone on roof and inside when lining up the bolts.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not confirmed what they're really called, but the louvered vent covers things... anybody know if they make some that when you close the vent, it in fact closes the vent, instead of creating a huge hissing wind tunnel?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all! Great info. I'll watch some of the videos to see if I want to tackle this and I'll get a quote from the shop to see what that looks like as well.

To answer a few points above, yes the wiring is there. There is a plate in the ceiling right next to the vent that has a sticker saying AC wiring located here etc etc.

One final question- Noise... Is there a particular brand or model known to be much quieter than others? Our main unit is Dometic and the noise level is fine. It is better than our last camper but also 15 years newer. That said, being right over the bed I would prefer something even a bit quieter if such a thing exists. Let me know if you have found a super quiet Non-Ducted AC unit, and do the "low profile" versions work quieter?? Thanks!

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from the cost, there is hardly any negative to having a reputable technician perform the installation.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some rigs are set up for the 2nd A/C to be ducted into the same duct work as the primary A/C and have a dual zone thermostat to control both. Some are not.

Bookumdanno
Explorer
Explorer
vents like this?? https://www.etrailer.com/p-372GRILL2D-A.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH_f4mh0iBF88KwE...
2020 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
For the vents, Amazon has them but you need to measure your current ones:
- with a 1.5" collar: White Adjustable Ceiling Vent with 1.50" Collar
- with a 0.25" collar: White Adjustable Ceiling Vent with 0.25" Collar

As long as all of the wiring is in place, I've heard from quite a few people that self-installing an A/C isn't very hard. Worst part is getting it onto the roof.

No idea on where to buy. If local parts + service center was close to cheapest, I would buy from them for a little local tech support if the situation arises.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Bookumdanno
Explorer
Explorer
The AC you have now is a ducted AC. The 2nd one you want will be a non ducted. https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometic13500DuoThermBrisk2TopUnitOnlyAirConditioner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQ... . It would be installed in place of the roof vent in the bedroom.When you decide on AC you want don't forget to get the inside air box too it's extra. https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometic13500DuoThermBrisk2TopUnitOnlyAirConditioner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQ... The installation requires going on roof with new AC. This is best done with 2 or more people. The 120v wiring should be in the ceiling at the vent. That's what they mean by prewired. The are numerous you-tube videos on installing a 2nd AC. I'd watch several and then decide if it's something you could do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O6CCIcehbQ
2020 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS