Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn’t tow/haul also help engage the engine brake Incase of a sudden stop for traffic on flat ground?

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

TH doesn't care about flat ground. What it does is hold each gear longer when accelerating. When it's off it short shifts and can make the engine work harder building rpm back up which actually uses more fuel. I'm guessing you had a tail wind?

This ^

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

The main thing to remember is that the MPG reading is a lie. If you really want to know your MPG, keep track of mileage and amounts added to the tank, over several tankfuls you'll get your pretty accurate MPG.

Let me understand. You trust your computer to tell you the number of miles you traveled. You trust your computer to tell you how fast you are going. You trust your computer to tell you the amount of time you traveled. You trust your computer to tell the engine what your foot wants it to do. You trust your computer to mix the correct amount of fuel with air, to allow the engine to run correctly.
But you don't trust your computer to be able to use all that information to figure your MPG? Instead you trust a hand held computer, and a simi accurate computer on a random gas pump on a simi level concrete pad to figure your MPG. Oke Doke!

The MPG is a calculated number, unlike the clock, odometer reading, etc, so it is more likely to be inaccurate. That said, hand calculating is not really any different.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollexx wrote:

I have been towing our 30ft fiver for years with a Silverado 2500 Duramax. Have been using the tow mode and get right around 12MPG. Today we headed out. I zeroed out the trip computer before leaving. Stopped at a rest area about 100 miles out, all freeway traveling at about 60 as usual. It’s then I noticed I had forgot to put it in tow mode. Checked MPG reading and was surprised to see 15 MPG. Tran temp and engine temp were normal so just left it off the rest of trip, another 140 miles. Checked again at end and got 14.4 MPG. So my question.. On fairly flat highways should I leave towing mode off and only turn it on when I hit the hills?

Had an 01 Sierra with the Duramax. I found it held the lower gear on flat roads so I'd turn off the T/H until it shifted and then turn it back on. Once in 5th, it would stay there with T/H on. But I liked T/H for getting up to speed and hills.

I doubt it would be a 3 mpg difference though.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The engineers made the T/H mode hold the lower gears longer for a reason. If you choose not to use it that is your prerogative since it's your truck and trans life you are shortening.

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry - this ones going to be a bit long - there is son many things to consider.

There are two schools of thought on figuring fuel economy. One trust the computer or second compute it yourself based on the gas pump!

I had a co-worker that studied the pump method and its accuracy.
He found if you parked at the same pump in the same position every time your accuracy was right around 10%. know add in different pumps and vehicle positions?

When I hit the road I frequently check my MPG using both methods and rarely do they agree with each other! The computer normally tells me that my MPG is slightly higher (.3 mpg) than the pump method. So what do you believe?

I believe what one should be asking himself is this: Is my MPG consistent with my prior tank given the conditions? If they are then everything is good. Did my Mileage drop then why? Wind, Hills, Speed or other? If it's not the wind, hills or speed - is there something wrong with my vehicle?

Speed & wind are the biggest reason I see for a Mileage drop or gain!
driving 10 miles an hour faster is the same as driving into a 10 MPH head wind. For every 10 MPH increase in speed you can expect a 10% decrease in MPG.

I keep a log and at the end of the trip I'll figure out my MPG for the complete trip. If I hit my goal of 10 MPG I am happy. Some days are better than other, but I can say that I almost always are within a few tenths.

Happy camping and save travels!

Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you will get better fuel economy without T/H on generally.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use $100,000+ RVs weighing many thousands of pounds and we worry about fuel mileage? My guess is that most RVers don't drive over 10 to 20K miles per year. In the overall scheme of things 1 or 2 MPG isn't that big of a deal.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.