Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Replacing all my bulbs with LEDs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replacing all my bulbs with LEDs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that sometimes led's can interfere with tv reception.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

You'll see a big spread in prices and one stop will be tough with that many types. I've spent $350 on a 5er and that was finding a happy medium between quality and price. There's hundred of vendors. Super bright LEDs is a quality vendor. Lately, I've done careful shopping on eBay and found great prices and good quality but from different vendors. Have fun figuring out the terminology, brightness and color temps! Craig

I went with superbrightleds.com . I found everything there. Pretty good website. I think I bought some taillights there a couple years ago and was satisfied. Keeping my fingers crossed; I spent almost $200 on bulbs!

David Kojen

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HIGHLY advise getting the correct "Kelvin" or you will have that blue/white obnoxious light in your eves!

These are NOT cheap but they put out a very nice light similar to the incandescent lamps. AMAZON

I use these in the Pendant lights.

[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craig7h wrote:

Can I ask a question, did you find the leds put off more heat than the standard bulbs.

I actually changed all the interior lights from incandescent to LED specifically for the reason of less heat. And, it is a lot less heat running LEDs and well worth it for that reason.

Aside from maybe a bit brighter light with regards to changing trailer tail lights to LEDs, I've not done it as the cost seems to outweigh the benefit. Changing running lights to LEDs, I see no reason to spend extra money there as there is no real benefit to the owner for doing it.

I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

HIGHLY advise getting the correct "Kelvin" or you will have that blue/white obnoxious light in your eves!

100% agree!

I went with all interior light at 3200k color temp which seems very closely matched to incandescent lighting. Seemed anything above that color temp was too white/blue and starts to resemble cool white fluorescent color lighting, which I find obnoxious. But to each their own.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRocket204 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

100% agree!

I went with all interior light at 3200k color temp which seems very closely matched to incandescent lighting. Seemed anything above that color temp was too white/blue and starts to resemble cool white fluorescent color lighting, which I find obnoxious. But to each their own.

I learned about Kelvin Color ratings years ago building a Pediatric Clinic. The Dr wanted as close to natural light as possible so he could help diagnose by skin color.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The elimination of most heat in LEDs creates the “saving.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years I have fully converted 3 campers and the majority of the LEDs came from https://www.superbrightleds.com/

They tend to be a bit more expensive but they stand behind what they sell. I have had two premature failures and they were replaced free very quickly.

Go with the warm bulbs and don't be afraid to add a few low intensity LEDs as add ons or in fixtures that tend not to be used for mood lighting when your just sitting around in the evening. We read on Kindles or iPads or do stuff on the laptop so we don't need much light after supper and the low lumen LEDs draw almost no power for off grid. I especially like lights mounted low, below counter level so you get mostly indirect lighting when not actually doing things in the camper.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rather then put in new led bulbs I upgraded to led fixtures (bulbs included) not much more.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was also concerned about the blue/white of some LED bulbs. Never liked the gymnasium look. I also heard about some electronic interference issues with some bulbs. I went to LED4RV and got great advice and products. Get dollar bulbs and take your chances. I suppose you can buy cheap and if you like them you will save a ton of money. Even when they burn out you can replace them and still be ahead. I just don't like all the fuss.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replacing all my bulbs with LEDs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.