Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
cattledog04

Temecula, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious how many people don't have a sliding hitch with their shortbeds? I never used it on my old truck, and I'm trying to decide to buy another (spending more) for my HD that's on order or just get a non slider. Thoughts?

Turn Key

North Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it for what it is worth but I have a friend with a short-bed Ram and a sliding hitch that he never used for a number of years. After putting two dimples in his truck (one on each side), he decided it best to learn to use his sliding hitch.

Just 2-cents from a guy with a long-bed Chevy[emoticon]. Happy Camping!

Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I understand your post, your buying a new HD truck. SO upwards of $40K. A basic hitch will cost 300 a automatic superglide maybe $1K. Can't see risking damage for $700.

Full disclosure: I have a long bed, ironically with a slider.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 Ram with the 6'4" bed without a sliding hitch. I have a standard B&W Patriot 16K hitch. With that being said, I have a 2019 FR Hemisphere 5th wheel. The nose is very rounded and cut back at the bottom edges of the nose. If it had a more traditional "squarish" nose, or I had the smaller 5'8" bed I would definitely have a sliding hitch. I think manufacturers are rounding the noses on 5th wheels because the short bed trucks are the most popular and they want to maximize sales of their trailers. For some, having to buy an expensive sliding hitch would be a deal breaker. With my set up, I can get to almost 90 degrees if I had to. So far I haven't come close to needing to get to that severe of an angle. The closest the nose has been to the cab of my truck is about 10" away. I think if you want 100% complete peace of mind then get a sliding hitch. If you know ahead of time what the limitations are, you will be fine.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on the front end of your fifth wheel: placement of the pin box, width of the fiver, shape/contour of the front cap, etc. We pulled our Reflection with a 6.5' bed CC Sierra using a non-sliding hitch for a littl over 10K miles full-timing without any issues - but the Reflection has a sculpted front cap that reduces the chance of cap-to-cab contact. Some fifth wheels - although they tend to be older ones - also have the pin box farther back than others. RVs like the Solitudes and DRVs are six inches wider than our Reflection, too, which would make a difference.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the truck brand. GM has the longest C/A (cab to axle) dimension than the Ram or Ford. My son had a '02 2500 chevy short bed....then a '15 2500 chevy short bed and now a '18 2500 chevy short bed with two different 5th wheel trailers and has no need for a sliding hitch.

And as others with short bed trucks said the newer 5ers may have the rounded/notched front corners eliminating the need for a sliding hitch.

Another player is hitch location. You get the max distance by placing the hitch with the pin zero over the trucks rear axle.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother has a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel with 4 door short bed. We installed a gooseneck hitch and the Andersen 5th wheel set-up. He has an offset ball that the Andersen connects to and tows a Grand Design 303RLS I think it's called. Works great. Tows like a dream and backing up is also the best. No problems. I don't think he could do a full 90 degree, but then why would he need to? The Anersen set up is really nice, easy to use and keeps the bed ready for any other truck related need.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy has one of those pinboxes that privets back at the attach point , not at the kingpin/hitch. Works great on his short bed 1/2t ford

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot also depends on the 5th wheel. The smaller or mid-profile 5th wheels are generally no problem with the newer trucks. Full-size ones could have problems although as time moves on the manufacturers are making the caps with short bed trucks in mind.

I have a mid-profile with a SB truck and have never needed to slide back during some pretty hairy camping. But I do need to slide back every time I come/go to my steep driveway to keep my 5th from hitting the back corners of my truck.

My main complaint with the slider is the weight.... both against payload and moving the thing in/out of the truck.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you decide I suggest this little test after you get the trailer and hitch.

Find a large open area where you can do a full 360. Have someone walk along side your rig while having steering at full lock and do at least a full 360 while your watchman watches the cab to trailer clearance.

If there is no problem then you know your are safe going into a crowded fuel station etc as long as you do not back up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS