Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
GaryUT

Northern UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed GMC with a patriot slider. The dealer who installed it set as far back as it would go. The pin box will hit the tailgate when the hitch is slid back:

[image]

I have since adjusted the hitch forward 3 inches, it will just clear the tailgate on level ground. I will have to lower the tailgate to use the slider.

Gary

2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryUT wrote:

I have a short bed GMC with a patriot slider. The dealer who installed it set as far back as it would go. The pin box will hit the tailgate when the hitch is slid back:

I have since adjusted the hitch forward 3 inches, it will just clear the tailgate on level ground. I will have to lower the tailgate to use the slider.

Gary

This is why they sell those 5th wheel tail gates.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryUT, I just did that yesterday with my new slider, now I thinking about going back to my regular Companion. Luckily I just scraped the rubber cap pretty bad.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryUT wrote:

Gary

Does your pin box clear the bed sides when you come close to a 90 degree turn?

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryP,

My son has a Dodge quad-cab with that same dent. They must install them at the factory on short beds!

They are an extra cost option for my long bed Chevy.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cattledog04 wrote:

Just curious how many people don't have a sliding hitch with their shortbeds? I never used it on my old truck, and I'm trying to decide to buy another (spending more) for my HD that's on order or just get a non slider. Thoughts?

My opinion so feel free to ignore. If you are buying a sliding hitch, buy an auto slider. Otherwise, you will not slide the hitch when you need to. Crowded gas stations get many when going forward and trying to maneuver. Stopping when your camper is blocking traffic as you try to make a sharp turn to get to a pump, backing up to get straight so you can get out and release the slide, getting in to pull forward, getting out to lock the slide and finally getting back in to turn to get to the pump.....

Auto slide is easy and works every time without thinking about it.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

handsome51

Baytown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cattledog04 wrote:

Just curious how many people don't have a sliding hitch with their shortbeds? I never used it on my old truck, and I'm trying to decide to buy another (spending more) for my HD that's on order or just get a non slider. Thoughts?

If you are going to buy another truck. Why not get a real truck that has a 8ft bed. Then you don't need a slider. Go ahead and splurge a little more and buy you a good air hitch. Then you can travel down the road in comfort. You won't be jerked around in the truck and everything in the 5th wheel will ride smoothly. Just splurge one time and you won't regret it. I did 13 years ago this month. I already had the truck. I bought I brand new Carriage 5th wheel and a 25k Air Safe Hitch. On the first trip as we are traveling down the highway. The wife said you don't even know the 5th wheel is back their. The only time something moves in the 5th wheel is if I have to make a emergency hard stop with the brakes.

cattledog04

Temecula, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyone's opinion. Not a fan of long beds, plus I'm splurging enough as it is with ordering my 2020 HD.

prstlk

Post Falls ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many many miles on our 2013 f 350 short bed towing a big 5th wheel. Anderson hitch no problems. Yes you have to pay attention as you don't have the radius of a long bed hitch or a slider. Unless your trying to park in super small spots with little room to move the short bed is fine. Also keep in mind that a full size PU is harder to park and manuver then a short bed when the 5ver is not behind you.

2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

GaryUT

Northern UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

GaryUT wrote:

Gary

Does your pin box clear the bed sides when you come close to a 90 degree turn?

I have plenty of clearance between the pin box and the sides of the bed, I can turn the truck to 90 degrees. When the hitch was installed the dealer set it as far back as it would go, the pivot point of the hitch was 3" behind the axle. Since the picture was taken I have adjusted the hitch to be centered over the axle, the pin box will clear the tailgate on level ground, but not by much.

Gary

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS