Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Test drove a Chevy 2020 HD 3500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Test drove a Chevy 2020 HD 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a 2020 HD for a short test drive yesterday. Somethings that stood out. The infotainment is much improved from the last gen. I liked the interior, would take getting used to the relocation of the trailer brake controller but it is more logical now. Overall the interior is not blingy (this was an LTZ) but very functional more so than the previous. 10 speed is really almost seamless, felt almost like CVT. What I really wanted to see is if that dead pedal was still there. While not as noticeable I still could detect the delay. I was hoping that if there were no nannies in play that would be gone. This truck had not been PDIed and it displayed "transport mode" on the display so maybe that was part of that. The money appears to be about the same as previous gen, but there are a lot more options now, so you could easily get carried away if your not careful checking boxes. They also has a 6.6 gas HD on the lot. They said that some guys took it out and checked the mileage and were able to get 16-17 on the Interstate. If that is true, that would be a good thing if it pulls like the spec sheet says it should.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting the itch to test drive one as well. Our local Chevy dealer has a few coming but nothing on the lot. I noticed our local GMC dealer had a loaded 2020 3500 SLT on display on the way to work the other day so on my way home when they were closed I swung in to take a look. They look really nice and well thought out, I will look harder in the coming months and hopefully they will have something along the lines of a LT/SLE on the lot.

The one thing that I found surprising is that the diesel 2500's are within a 100# or so of the last generations SRW 3500 GVWR but the rear axle rating is in between the two at 6600#. Based on my last Cat scale readings I could easily get away with a 2020 2500 with lots of room to spare which is nice as the 2500's are much more plentiful it seems.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove a 2019 Ram 3500 diesel and was most impressed. Smoother ride than my 05 2500 and a lot quieter. More gadgets and fluff than I would have liked, the dash is cluttered, but did have some features I could get used to. At 85 grand it's still on the lot though. Whew!!

MARK VANDERBENT

MANHATTAN ,IL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hit the road camping this weekend. In Michigan on 94 I saw several truck loads of new Silverado 2500hds and wow they sure look good!!
They have such a bold stand out look that sets it apart from the others.
I have a feeling when people start seeing these trucks on the lots they will really like them!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MARK VANDERBENT wrote:

Hit the road camping this weekend. In Michigan on 94 I saw several truck loads of new Silverado 2500hds and wow they sure look good!!
They have such a bold stand out look that sets it apart from the others.
I have a feeling when people start seeing these trucks on the lots they will really like them!

I agree, I seen one the other day going down the road and looks a lot better in person. I think they are actually growing on me.

Dan

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the one I test drove looked alright, it was bright red so there is that, but the truck itself looked good. The GMC dealer has not got any in yet. Curious to see how that looks in person.

rmoparman

gettysburg

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are nice but so ugly

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Yeah that. Thank goodness there's GMC....
Chevy HD truck artists need to go practice abstract art somewhere else and whoever approves the designs should lay off the hallucinogenics at the approval meetings!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Copperhead

Central Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am waiting for first hand experience from folks about how the new 6.6 gasser does in the 2500HD and 3500HD. From what GM and Ford is doing, I see another round of big bore gasser battles looming on the horizon.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gas version needs a the 10 speed. They care going to get killed on the Ike.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Test drove a Chevy 2020 HD 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.