cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iRV AM-FM iRV 34 radio problem

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer that has the iRV AM-FM iRV-34 radio in it and is giving me problems. Most of the time after it has been sitting for awhile, and sometimes even when we have been using it, it will not start with the remote or with the switch on the radio. The switch has a light on, so it appears to be getting power. I found the 20 amp fuse, and if I remove it and put it back in, it gives a little spark and will work most of the time after. I replaced it with a new fuse, and no change. But the switch on the radio always shows power is getting there at all times. I put some Ox-Gard on the fuse, an aluminum wire antioxidant and that didn't help. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
15 REPLIES 15

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
grizzzman wrote:

Correction: The third speaker pair is for the outside speakers. It is also capable of sub-bass. It has to be turned on. (I tried it, but you would need an amp for it to be useful)

Has no one ever heard of a simple device called a SPEAKER SWITCH?

Yes, they DO exist, they do allow one to connect MULTIPLE PAIRS of speakers to ONE stereo source, all without causing damage to the radio output section..

HERE is a search for them..OU

HERE is a DIY on how to use a multispeaker switch..

I never though something so simple would require a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to figure out how to get around a third speaker pair.. This ain't brain surgery nor are we attempting to launch folks into space, only trying to get a extra set of speakers to sound off..

The outside speakers' volume and input can be separately controlled. Your switch would not do this.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
IRV has excellent customer service. Problem is, their product is a POS. You just need to replace it with something a little bit better quality.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
grizzzman wrote:

Correction: The third speaker pair is for the outside speakers. It is also capable of sub-bass. It has to be turned on. (I tried it, but you would need an amp for it to be useful)

Has no one ever heard of a simple device called a SPEAKER SWITCH?

Yes, they DO exist, they do allow one to connect MULTIPLE PAIRS of speakers to ONE stereo source, all without causing damage to the radio output section..

HERE is a search for them..

HERE is a DIY on how to use a multispeaker switch..

I never though something so simple would require a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to figure out how to get around a third speaker pair.. This ain't brain surgery nor are we attempting to launch folks into space, only trying to get a extra set of speakers to sound off..

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
mike-uswest wrote:
I called the company, thank you delwhir, and he said that it sounded like a power source problem in the radio. They are foreign made and no parts available. he suggested a new one, $150 to $200. I don't call that cheap. It takes care of my DVD for the TV among other things with three area speaker system and fits the spot it is mounted in. I am not even sure how to get it out!! I will just keep going as I have been I guess, for now. Thanks.

Mike

I never said that they would be WILLING to sell it "cheap" but it IS made dirt cheap with very poor quality parts and design.

All in all a $5 portable radio can out perform any RV radio ever built.

I remember back in the 1980s when my Dad bought his first new RV and the radio in it couldn't pick up more than a couple of radio stations and it drifted badly and after a yr the cassette player ate every tape inserted..

Told him to put a car stereo in and be done with it..

My Brother has that RV now and the stereo still works including the Ucassette deck..

As far as yours goes, the multi speaker thing is easily taken care of, the third speaker is a subwoofer, most car stereos now days already have a subwoofer output, you just need to add a small external amplifier to power the subwoofer.

As far as TV audio, most car stereos have aux audio inputs and the one I posted the pix of does have a built in DVD player so you can watch your movies from it, even with your own TV since most of the DVD indash units will also have a video output connection (you may need to adapt the composite video to HDMI for most newer TVs but that is also easily fixed via composite to HDMI adapters).

The ONLY downside I know of good quality indash car stereos with DVD do not typically have "surround" sound multichannel decoders but hey, you are camping, not trying to recreate a theater.

But hey, do what you wish..

2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-uswest wrote:
I called the company, thank you delwhir, and he said that it sounded like a power source problem in the radio. They are foreign made and no parts available. he suggested a new one, $150 to $200. I don't call that cheap. It takes care of my DVD for the TV among other things with three area speaker system and fits the spot it is mounted in. I am not even sure how to get it out!! I will just keep going as I have been I guess, for now. Thanks.

Mike

I never said that they would be WILLING to sell it "cheap" but it IS made dirt cheap with very poor quality parts and design.

All in all a $5 portable radio can out perform any RV radio ever built.

I remember back in the 1980s when my Dad bought his first new RV and the radio in it couldn't pick up more than a couple of radio stations and it drifted badly and after a yr the cassette player ate every tape inserted..

Told him to put a car stereo in and be done with it..

My Brother has that RV now and the stereo still works including the cassette deck..

As far as yours goes, the multi speaker thing is easily taken care of, the third speaker is a subwoofer, most car stereos now days already have a subwoofer output, you just need to add a small external amplifier to power the subwoofer.

As far as TV audio, most car stereos have aux audio inputs and the one I posted the pix of does have a built in DVD player so you can watch your movies from it, even with your own TV since most of the DVD indash units will also have a video output connection (you may need to adapt the composite video to HDMI for most newer TVs but that is also easily fixed via composite to HDMI adapters).

The ONLY downside I know of good quality indash car stereos with DVD do not typically have "surround" sound multichannel decoders but hey, you are camping, not trying to recreate a theater.

But hey, do what you wish..

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the help.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer

I laughed out loud!

Down here leave the snot rag unattended for a few minutes. Tah-Dah! No sweeping no rubbish.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OXGARD is as useless as **** on a boar hog. Like using vaseline petroleum jelly

AMAZON AMAZON AMAZON

CAIG LABORATORIES D100L-25C Contact Cleaner
by CAIG Laboratories
4.7 out of 5 stars 142 customer reviews
| 8 answered questions
List Price: $31.51
Price: $22.00 & FREE Returns

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
I have a 2016 Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer that has the iRV AM-FM iRV-34 radio in it and is giving me problems. Most of the time after it has been sitting for awhile, and sometimes even when we have been using it, it will not start with the remote or with the switch on the radio. The switch has a light on, so it appears to be getting power. I found the 20 amp fuse, and if I remove it and put it back in, it gives a little spark and will work most of the time after. I replaced it with a new fuse, and no change. But the switch on the radio always shows power is getting there at all times. I put some Ox-Gard on the fuse, an aluminum wire antioxidant and that didn't help. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Mike

Contact IRV

iRV Support

Work: 574-970-8348
Mobile: 574-850-6334
Email: arzadonn@patrickind.com
or
roscoej@patrickind.com

I had a irv66 that was causing problems and they helped out quickly and solved my problem.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I have, I suspect, the same type of 2016 AF and the radio has never worked. We got the AF a few months ago, used. Just plain dead. I haven't searched for the fuse since we just don't use a radio that much. And I have a long list of other items to fix or improve.

But just in case, where is that fuse? In the fuse box or somewhere else? Sooner or later the wife will notice it and then it will jump up the priority list.

The fuse in mine is in the fuse box, fourth from the bottom.
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well as a relative newbie to Northwood, I'll say that a few things in the unit are poorly done or cheap junk. The plumbing had some very questionable decisions made, switching from PEX to braided nylon tubing for one thing. That made for a number of leaks. They put an electrical junction box in one wheel well and another under the unit but outside the belly membrane. And did not water seal them. I don't know what the brand of the radio is but it doesn't work is all that I can say.

But for the most part we are very pleased with the unit. We dragged it over quite a few steep dirt roads and boondocked for 3 days at a time with water and battery life left over and no damage to the unit. Except for some caused by my stupidity. I'd buy another in a flash. A vast improvement over our former fiver which had non-ending problems.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have read plenty of posts Arctic Fox this, Arctic Fox that, Northwood blah blah blah.

Then they use a $5 piece of junk radio/DVD the same as in a 28' Riverside stick and tin bunkhouse, that can be had for $15K. Wonderful.

Reminds me of the nice new Oliver seen at a campground. Looked a little closer. Lippert windows, Lippert jacks, Furrion electronics.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have, I suspect, the same type of 2016 AF and the radio has never worked. We got the AF a few months ago, used. Just plain dead. I haven't searched for the fuse since we just don't use a radio that much. And I have a long list of other items to fix or improve.

But just in case, where is that fuse? In the fuse box or somewhere else? Sooner or later the wife will notice it and then it will jump up the priority list.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper