cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Awning collapsed

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new momentum 320g toy hauler. First camping trip. It rained hard last night with the awning rolled up and tucked in. We just put the awning out when a shower happened— typical gulf coast summer rain shower.

Darn awning collapsed. Let me try to upload pics.

We are going tomorrow to another RV Park 4 hours away so need to get this fixed. No RV repair on grand isle, la.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console
21 REPLIES 21

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
With the Fuzion we had, it would collapse, drain and then go back up itself.

This one collapsed and drained but then got stuck and DH had to baby it and hold the arms while I did the retract button and we were able to get it back, so I do think this is possibly a defective awning.

Thank you.

You probably have a Carefree of Colorado Longitude awning. That is what is on our 2019 381M. There is not any reference to an auto dump feature in the manual. I know they will collapse and pull the roller toward the coach. This will allow the awning to droop in the middle and release water. My buddy with a 351M had his do this. I am not sure if this intended as a dump feature or just a consequence of the way the arms move. Either way the dumping is erratic and probably shouldn't be relied upon. As much trouble as it is I always retract our awnings when we leave. I do have ours tilted, but make sure you follow the instructions based on what length awning you have.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a cheap Jayco Hummingbird camper and the awning broke with a gust of wind. They fixed it. Took awhile sitting at the dealer but they did fix it. It's worth a phone call at the very least before going the route of buying a new one yourself or filing an insurance claim.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
nayther wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
If it's brand new then Grand Design should fix it. May take awhile, but it should be covered under the warranty.

schlep1967 wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Sorry. 😞

Should be covered by your RV insurance.

I disagree. An awning is supposed to be able to withstand rain. This is a new unit. If it was deployed correctly, the awning company should make it right.
Turning it in to your insurance is going to cost you probably a $500 deductible.

Good luck using those strategies. Call your insurance, file a claim, eat the deductible if you have one.

3. WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THIS WARRANTY

Damages not reported at time of purchase/receipt; including fabric damages such as pinholes and tears.
Damages or failures not related to the material or workmanship of the product including any failure that results from neglect, accident, wind, rain, water pooling, weather or other acts of God.

I agree with this, not likely to be covered. Next time be sure to lower one side and lock in the tension screws, it should drain fine.

I also agree, you can’t put out an awning flat and expect rain to drain! Water is HEAVY newer awnings with multiple arms per side are weak. ALWAYS drop one side to drain, once I had awing too flat and it held a fair amount of rain, was able to release one side and dump it it stretched the fabric a bit, luckily it was and old school manual awing with single arms!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
If it's brand new then Grand Design should fix it. May take awhile, but it should be covered under the warranty.

schlep1967 wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Sorry. 😞

I disagree. An awning is supposed to be able to withstand rain. This is a new unit. If it was deployed correctly, the awning company should make it right.
Turning it in to your insurance is going to cost you probably a $500 deductible.

Good luck using those strategies. Call your insurance, file a claim, eat the deductible if you have one.

Damages not reported at time of purchase/receipt; including fabric damages such as pinholes and tears.
Damages or failures not related to the material or workmanship of the product including any failure that results from neglect, accident, wind, rain, water pooling, weather or other acts of God.

I agree with this, not likely to be covered. Next time be sure to lower one side and lock in the tension screws, it should drain fine.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Sorry. 😞

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, that thing is twisted like a pretzel. How windy was it?

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Y-Guy wrote:
Sorry. 😞

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Holly Molly! Well..... it could of been worse.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Y-Guy
Sorry. 😞

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't really tell from the photos but if it's a manual awning, you should slope it so rain runs off. Some with pneumatic struts will release with enough rain weight.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
With the Fuzion we had, it would collapse, drain and then go back up itself.

This one collapsed and drained but then got stuck and DH had to baby it and hold the arms while I did the retract button and we were able to get it back, so I do think this is possibly a defective awning.

Thank you.

The Toys:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK second pic came through and you'll need to remove it. It may be a CareLess awning whose main use is for the salesman...Oh look at this great awning! :C
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Crisis over. Thank you for reading. It took some time to settle, we had tried to get it to retract and it would not, but DH fiddled with the bar arms and we were able to get it retracted, thank goodness.

Our Fuzion never had this happen, so we were stumped. I guess it’s a new make/model/brand learning curve.

The Toys: