Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2013 Duramax with 130k miles. We’re in the middle of a 6k mile trip pulling 15.5klb 5er and I’ve started to get a turbocharger engine code (P2599).

This first happened 3000 miles ago when I went to pass someone, caused the engine to go into limp mode at 30mph. After 20miles the nearest garage cleared the code and had normal operation. 50miles later GM dealer said might need a new turbo ($4k) or might be fine.

After driving fine for 2500miles (traveling Rockies) it threw the same code on an uphill grade, again going into limp mode this time 20mpg. I cleared code myself and took it to Chevy dealer 100miles away. Same story, this time they said if replacing turbo they would recommend some other things as well ($6k). I drove on.

Yesterday after another few hundred miles it threw the P2599 code but didn’t go into limp mode. After a couple engine starts the idiot light has turned itself off. Heading to Tetons tomorrow, still have 2k miles and a month to go on this trip.

How worried should I be? Assuming it continues to behave like this do I need to invest $4-6k and a week+ in the shop? On the road? When I get home? Or do I continue to just clear code if/when happens again and keep driving?

Thanks for your opinions, and better yet similar experiences.
Ron

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't answer your question but you might get better help here:
duramax forum

Good luck. Hope it's something cheap and simple.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several good options in Idaho Falls if you need help. Two of them are independent Diesel shops (Adrenaline Diesel and Powerlab Diesel). They both know these GM trucks inside and out. I also have a positive relationship with two Chevy service departments in the area. If you have an issue say something and I can help you out.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a friend with a loose clamp on one of the hoses and was losing boost. He described somewhat similar issues. I asked him to pop the hood and all it took was a couple turns and it tightened it enough to get him 350 miles to home.

That is something easy to check.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your VG actuator is sticking or failing. This is the exact reason why I replaced mine with a fixed geometry turbo. If this is the case, you can keep clearing it and hope it will last until it actually fails without any harm to the rest of the engine. When it actually fails you will notice it because you will have no power.

* This post was edited 08/04/19 07:53pm by ShinerBock *

jamilbk

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same exact issue. Problem was a boost leak caused by a loose clamp where the intercooler hose connects to the turbo. Check the nut on that clamp before doing anything else.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/11978106-post5.html#/topics/909297?page=1

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same issue a few years ago when my turbo actually went out. GM replaced the turbo under warranty but my mileage and power went to pot until i got it fixed even with the code cleared. within the last year, I have gotten the low boost code a few times with no change in driveability. It could be a loose clamp, or even a bad electrical connection causing it to throw that code. I just clear the code and go on

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

these trucks can have problems with the turbo vanes sticking. It can be remedied with labor/cleaning but most shops won't do this type work. Typical shop will want to r&r the turbo as an assembly.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have mentioned that our friends issue was with a Duramax also.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your oil is low enough (approx 2 qts), add 2 qts of Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator. 60 bucks or so and $$ back guarantee. Worth a shot and a lot cheaper than a new turbo.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.