cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duramax Turbo

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Duramax with 130k miles. We’re in the middle of a 6k mile trip pulling 15.5klb 5er and I’ve started to get a turbocharger engine code (P2599).

This first happened 3000 miles ago when I went to pass someone, caused the engine to go into limp mode at 30mph. After 20miles the nearest garage cleared the code and had normal operation. 50miles later GM dealer said might need a new turbo ($4k) or might be fine.

After driving fine for 2500miles (traveling Rockies) it threw the same code on an uphill grade, again going into limp mode this time 20mpg. I cleared code myself and took it to Chevy dealer 100miles away. Same story, this time they said if replacing turbo they would recommend some other things as well ($6k). I drove on.

Yesterday after another few hundred miles it threw the P2599 code but didn’t go into limp mode. After a couple engine starts the idiot light has turned itself off. Heading to Tetons tomorrow, still have 2k miles and a month to go on this trip.

How worried should I be? Assuming it continues to behave like this do I need to invest $4-6k and a week+ in the shop? On the road? When I get home? Or do I continue to just clear code if/when happens again and keep driving?

Thanks for your opinions, and better yet similar experiences.
Ron
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
56 REPLIES 56

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jarlaxle wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
No, just seeing how bad the post-2007 diesels are.

The right balance of counseling and pharma will smooth out some of those sharp edges.

I accept your concession.

Are you just trolling, or do you have a vested interest in people buying money-pit trucks? Do you own a diesel truck repair shop, perhaps? DO you sell some sort of snake-oil miracle product?

This is exactly what he's talking about. Dude, sometimes it helps to look in the mirror when you begin to think everyone in the world is wrong but yourself.
I lunched the transmission at 60k miles in my last gasser truck, yet never lost a diesel truck trans yet (knock on wood). By your theory, one should never buy a gasser truck then either. Guess we better break out the hay-burners again. Because there's no issues or concern with them.....right?

PS, if you're speaking tongue in cheek jarl, it's not coming across that way...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Jarlaxle wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

The right balance of counseling and pharma will smooth out some of those sharp edges.

Are you just trolling, or do you have a vested interest in people buying money-pit trucks? Do you own a diesel truck repair shop, perhaps? DO you sell some sort of snake-oil miracle product?

Nope. Not at all. It just catches my attention when I see someone banging out the same note day in and day out and calling it music. It sounds more like Yoko Ono to me. :S

We've never met, so I have to conjure up my own mental image. Am I close?

Anyway, your obsession against diesels seems uniquely bizarre. I've seen just about everything here, but I haven't seen anyone else with same crusade as you, which makes it ripe fodder for poking some fun.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

LOL...
So will differentiating between early and later Tier IV systems as well as having just a wee bit pf common sense and knowledge about the proper use and operation of said vehicle. It sort of defeats the everything is the easy button and you can go through life as dumb as a post just fine theory, though.

Edit: Not meaning you specifically jarlaxle, but those in general that think they can get in anything, turn the key and only worry about the traffic and what's playing on spotify.

That said, I fully understand the conditions, limitations and greater propensity for issues. Heck, anything has a greater propensity for issues than the opposite, aka not having it in the first place removes all propensity for issue.
And there's a reason I jumped on buying a deleted truck last year. But most of that reason was the overall deal and I would have made the same decision if it wasn't deleted. Receiving the original system laying in the bed of the truck in pieces was just the icing on the cake. Would still been a good cake the other way around though!

dedmiston
Jarlaxle wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Jarlaxel- Not interested in a gasser to pull around 16,000lbs 🙂

That's ok, it's his standard answer. Pretty sure either his wife or dog ran off with a guy who drives a diesel, based on some of his posts! LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's a childhood trauma. A stranger in a diesel approached him when he was young.

I've never seen such a one-man crusade against the evils of an engine. Definitely PTSD.

Current rig:

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
MNRon wrote:

That's ok, it's his standard answer. Pretty sure either his wife or dog ran off with a guy who drives a diesel, based on some of his posts! LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's a childhood trauma. A stranger in a diesel approached him when he was young.

I've never seen such a one-man crusade against the evils of an engine. Definitely PTSD.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
MNRon wrote:

Naah, I just see how bad the new engines are. Pretty sure we managed to top $60,000 in repairs (mostly emission problems) on the trucks at work in six months! Diesel has jumped the shark.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
Replaced with new turbo in February, not a rebuilt

Could still be a bad part.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:

Then get a big bucket of lube for the repair bills-you'll need it!
Current rig:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MNRon wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MNRon wrote:
Any ideas what service I should look at next?

I'd look at the same things I suggested 2 years ago. But that's just me....

DTC P2599 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Performance - High Position

testing procedure:

Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool DTC information. Verify DTC P06D2, P168C, P168D or P2263, is not set.

2. Engine running, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor and the Desired TC Vane Position parameters. Command the TC vane position sensor in 5 % increments from 0-100 %. The parameters should remain within 2 % throughout the commanded range.

3. Engine running, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor and the Desired TC Vane Position parameters while slowly increasing the engine speed to 2,500 RPM and slowly returning to idle speed. The parameters should remain near or equal throughout the engine speed range.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Inspect the turbocharger for debris, sticking vanes, or damage. Refer to Turbocharger Cleaning and Inspection See: Engine > Overhaul > Turbocharger Cleaning and Inspection.

?If a condition is found, clean or replace the turbocharger as necessary.

2. Inspect the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve and B112 turbocharger Vane Position Sensor for damage or sticking.

?If a condition is found, test or replace the affected component as necessary.

Component Testing

Turbocharger Vane Position Control Solenoid Valve

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

2. Measure the resistance across the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve terminals. The resistance should be between 3-7 ohms.

?If greater than the specified range, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

3. Test for infinite resistance between each Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve terminal and the solenoid valve housing.

?If less than the specified range, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

4. Ignition OFF, remove the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

5. Connect the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve harness connector.

6. Ignition ON, command the TC Vane Pos. Cntrl. Solenoid ON. Depress and hold the CAM follower slightly at the tip of the TC solenoid valve while observing the slot closest to the CAM follower for the spool valve to move to the open position.

?If the spool valve did not move to the open position, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

Turbocharger Vane Position Sensor

1. Remove the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor.

2. Connect the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor harness connector.

Note:
It is normal for the TC Vane Position Sensor voltage to quickly return to approximately 4.9 V as the plunger reaches its fully depressed position.

3. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor voltage while slowly depressing the plunger at the end of the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor. The voltage should decrease smoothly from approximately 4.9-0.2 V.

?If the TC Vane Position Sensor parameter drops out or spikes, replace the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced with new turbo in February, not a rebuilt
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I should note that the only times I got the turbo codes was towing a gooseneck with my wife’s race truck at about 14,000lbs. That is when I got my edge insight so I could monitor turbo vane position commanded and actual as well as fuel rail pressure commanded and actual. I ended up finding a 2019 2500HD in late 2019 and replaced it before any more codes were thrown.