Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What code reader have you been using to clear the codes? We're having similar issues here but planning on getting turbo rebuilt...

2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Maybe someone could explain how it's somehow beneficial to use the exhaust brake function to help keep the variable vanes from sticking when they move just the same every time you mash the throttle.

See my post above, the vains have more travel with the turbo brake on.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vanished, I just bought a cheap code reader years ago. Not sure I’d recommend the one I have. If I didn’t have one I’d just searc on Amazon, or go into a local Autozone or some such.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Vanished, I just bought a cheap code reader years ago. Not sure I’d recommend the one I have. If I didn’t have one I’d just searc on Amazon, or go into a local Autozone or some such.

Thanks - I looked around and the selection was overwhelming. All i wanted to do was read & clear codes on our Duramax until I get the turbo rebuilt - but they sure seem to vary in price and features.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend a Edge insight, they are more money but they give you a set of gauges that can monitor just about every thing. I have one screen set for desired fuel pressure and actual fuel pressure. The other screen is turbo boost and turbo vain position. It will also monitor the soot level in the DPF filter and even let you initiate a regen cycle manually.

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vanished wrote:

MNRon wrote:

Thanks - I looked around and the selection was overwhelming. All i wanted to do was read & clear codes on our Duramax until I get the turbo rebuilt - but they sure seem to vary in price and features.

Buy a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and download the torque app.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

I would recommend a Edge insight, they are more money but they give you a set of gauges that can monitor just about every thing. I have one screen set for desired fuel pressure and actual fuel pressure. The other screen is turbo boost and turbo vain position. It will also monitor the soot level in the DPF filter and even let you initiate a regen cycle manually.

I second this. I have the Torque, DashCommand, and a few other monitoring apps. My Edge Insight is better than any of these in regards to real time monitoring. It has special PIDs just for Ford Ram, and GM allowing me to view more useful parameters the other apps can't. I can also add devices like a pyro to read pre-turbo EGT's. The layout is much better too.

However, if you just want to read and clear codes, then just get a bluetooth OBD and the Torque app.

EDIT: Back when I had a crappy VG turbo, my Edge Insight had a parameter for VGT vane position from 0%(full open) to 100% (full closed). It also had PID's like DPF regen status, EGR flow, exhaust back pressure, and so on.

* This post was last edited 08/15/19 02:56pm by ShinerBock *   View edit history

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well my VVT is sticking as well. Looking at options. $3800 from the dealer to RR. The diesel performance shops are considerably less even for a better turbo. Cleaning it sounds like it isn't a long term fix.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Depends if it's the vanes physically sticking or the actuator going south.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Well my VVT is sticking as well. Looking at options. $3800 from the dealer to RR. The diesel performance shops are considerably less even for a better turbo. Cleaning it sounds like it isn't a long term fix.

I would still give Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator a try. If it doesn't work, can get a refund.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.