Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Sounds to me like it might be a.problem with the ECM, another turbo after only 8000 miles is to me unlikely.

Unless it was a bad rebuild...

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxel- Not interested in a gasser to pull around 16,000lbs [emoticon]

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

S Davis wrote:

Sounds to me like it might be a.problem with the ECM, another turbo after only 8000 miles is to me unlikely.

Unless it was a bad rebuild...

I didn’t catch that it was a rebuilt turbo, I know on my 2013 2500HD I had several turbo codes but never did anything about it because It never went into limp mode and I would reset the code. I was more worried about the CP4 injection pump because I got some fuel related codes too.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should note that the only times I got the turbo codes was towing a gooseneck with my wife’s race truck at about 14,000lbs. That is when I got my edge insight so I could monitor turbo vane position commanded and actual as well as fuel rail pressure commanded and actual. I ended up finding a 2019 2500HD in late 2019 and replaced it before any more codes were thrown.

* This post was edited 06/28/21 02:07pm by S Davis *

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replaced with new turbo in February, not a rebuilt

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Any ideas what service I should look at next?

I'd look at the same things I suggested 2 years ago. But that's just me....

DTC P2599 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Performance - High Position

testing procedure:

Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool DTC information. Verify DTC P06D2, P168C, P168D or P2263, is not set.

2. Engine running, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor and the Desired TC Vane Position parameters. Command the TC vane position sensor in 5 % increments from 0-100 %. The parameters should remain within 2 % throughout the commanded range.

3. Engine running, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor and the Desired TC Vane Position parameters while slowly increasing the engine speed to 2,500 RPM and slowly returning to idle speed. The parameters should remain near or equal throughout the engine speed range.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Inspect the turbocharger for debris, sticking vanes, or damage. Refer to Turbocharger Cleaning and Inspection See: Engine > Overhaul > Turbocharger Cleaning and Inspection.

?If a condition is found, clean or replace the turbocharger as necessary.

2. Inspect the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve and B112 turbocharger Vane Position Sensor for damage or sticking.

?If a condition is found, test or replace the affected component as necessary.

Component Testing

Turbocharger Vane Position Control Solenoid Valve

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

2. Measure the resistance across the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve terminals. The resistance should be between 3-7 ohms.

?If greater than the specified range, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

3. Test for infinite resistance between each Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve terminal and the solenoid valve housing.

?If less than the specified range, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

4. Ignition OFF, remove the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

5. Connect the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve harness connector.

6. Ignition ON, command the TC Vane Pos. Cntrl. Solenoid ON. Depress and hold the CAM follower slightly at the tip of the TC solenoid valve while observing the slot closest to the CAM follower for the spool valve to move to the open position.

?If the spool valve did not move to the open position, replace the Q41 turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve.

Turbocharger Vane Position Sensor

1. Remove the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor.

2. Connect the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor harness connector.

Note:
It is normal for the TC Vane Position Sensor voltage to quickly return to approximately 4.9 V as the plunger reaches its fully depressed position.

3. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool TC Vane Position Sensor voltage while slowly depressing the plunger at the end of the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor. The voltage should decrease smoothly from approximately 4.9-0.2 V.

?If the TC Vane Position Sensor parameter drops out or spikes, replace the B112 turbocharger vane position sensor.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

That's ok, it's his standard answer. Pretty sure either his wife or dog ran off with a guy who drives a diesel, based on some of his posts! LOL

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Then get a big bucket of lube for the repair bills-you'll need it!

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Replaced with new turbo in February, not a rebuilt

Could still be a bad part.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

MNRon wrote:

That's ok, it's his standard answer. Pretty sure either his wife or dog ran off with a guy who drives a diesel, based on some of his posts! LOL

Naah, I just see how bad the new engines are. Pretty sure we managed to top $60,000 in repairs (mostly emission problems) on the trucks at work in six months! Diesel has jumped the shark.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.