Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy a remanufactured turbo for $857 from Summitt Racing
... free shipping. The r and r is about 10 hours. I wouldn't go to a dealer.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

If your oil is low enough (approx 2 qts), add 2 qts of Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator. 60 bucks or so and $$ back guarantee. Worth a shot and a lot cheaper than a new turbo.

I'm not sure I see how an oil additive can fix sticky turbo vanes.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

If your oil is low enough (approx 2 qts), add 2 qts of Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator. 60 bucks or so and $$ back guarantee. Worth a shot and a lot cheaper than a new turbo.

As you know, oil flows thru the turbo and the vanes pivot inside the turbo in some fashion. Anyways, the oil can get burnt onto the inside of the turbo and pivot points and that's what's called "Stiction". The HSS has ingredients in it that will clean off the burnt oil and return things pretty much back to orig cond if not all the way. Another result of that it's working is after you put it in, start engine and run it, you'll see white smoke out of the tail pipe. Doesn't last forever.

Lot cheaper than a new/re-man turbo and labor. If it doesn't work, can always get your $$ back.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a good idea to use the turbo brake on a regular basis, it will help keep the adjustment range clear of build up.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

It is a good idea to use the turbo brake on a regular basis, it will help keep the adjustment range clear of build up.

That is a good tip.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

As you know, oil flows thru the turbo and the vanes pivot inside the turbo in some fashion. Anyways, the oil can get burnt onto the inside of the turbo and pivot points and that's what's called "Stiction". The HSS has ingredients in it that will clean off the burnt oil and return things pretty much back to orig cond if not all the way. Another result of that it's working is after you put it in, start engine and run it, you'll see white smoke out of the tail pipe. Doesn't last forever.

Lot cheaper than a new/re-man turbo and labor. If it doesn't work, can always get your $$ back.

Ah, OK. I didn't know engine oil touched the vanes, I thought it was just the turbo shaft that was oil lubed. I thought the vanes were electrically actuated, not oil driven. On edit: looks like I'm right
VIDEO

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

S Davis wrote:

That is a good tip.

On my 2013 in heavy stop and go without the turbo brake I see vain movement from 55% to 98%, with it on I see between 5% and 98%. This is in Seattle traffic where you are going 70 one second and 0 the next.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just like the RAM Cummins exhaust brake...use it or loose it.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here, still traveling. We’ve added another 1k mikes towing heavy, and probably another 1k miles without the 5er since original post.

Just leaving Rockies behind us but still at 7000ft and have crossed the continental divide a dozen or two times since last posting. No more problems...yet...fingers crossed. Taking it in for oil change in Cheyenne tomorrow, still have 1500-2000miles left in this trip.

I have been a little gentle on it (not hammering down) but have let cruise control rev it up pretty hard on some of the pulls.

Not sure what to think about exhaust brake. Last mechanic said not to use it much as it might aggravate the issue I’m having. Prior to that it was the second button I pushed (after tow/haul) every time I took off pulling. Since his advice I’ve only turned it on when needing it on a downhill. Advice here seems to be “use it” so maybe I’ll tend more back to previous practice.

I’ll talk with mechanic tomorrow, but currently planning on at least finishing trip and dealing with at home. If “babying” it means the code seldom fires, and I can avoid limp mode, not sure if I won’t just continue to live with it instead of shelling out $4-6k....don’t know... we’ll see...

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe someone could explain how it's somehow beneficial to use the exhaust brake function to help keep the variable vanes from sticking when they move just the same every time you mash the throttle.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.