Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ The LML vgt actuator is oil operated so it's possible that could work if the plunger is sticking.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ Depends if it's the vanes physically sticking or the actuator going south.

They tested the actuator and they tell me it is good. The motor is an LBZ but still oil actuated turbo. Considering upgrading to a better turbo, but power is not an issue, it has a light 35 hp tune and it will spin the duals from a dead stop with a loaded trailer at will. I just wish it had the brakes and suspension that the new ones do, even the 2011 upgrade, to say nothing of the 2020. When I found out this news we (commercial sales guy and I) built a WT 3500 HD CC DRW 2020 verison and it has a 40 Gross combined capacity as built. Price is mid50K. Wasn't going to upgrade but maybe I will replace this truck. That is almost twice the capacity of the 06 DRW.

* This post was edited 08/18/19 11:59pm by ksss *

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

^ Depends if it's the vanes physically sticking or the actuator going south.

They tested the actuator and they tell me it is good. The motor is an LBZ but still oil actuated turbo.

The variable vane actuator is oil actuated. The turbo is oil cooled, but oil does not do anything for the variable vanes in the turbo.
It could be the vane position sensor as well.
Replacing the turbo is not a horrible backyard job. I'd expect 4-6 hours from a shop. And it could just need taken apart and cleaned if the bearings are good and the compressor wheel isn't damaged.
Just food for thought.
$3800 for a turbo replacement sounds like the Chevy dealer trying to fund a company wide bbq on your turbo.
New OE turbo is $1195 including actuator shipped to your door on amazon. Plus gaskets and bolts.

JaneSiver

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey,
2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax LLY SLT Edition 4x4. 105,872 miles when I drove her home. The previous owner took care of this truck like you wouldn't believe, I have ever recorded down to the T. Oil changes, fuel filters, brakes, all changed like clockwork. He towed with it and had the transmission completely serviced before I bought it on www.boodmo.com/ I am a very happy man!

* This post was edited 09/30/19 12:41am by JaneSiver *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Great truck there!
Had a 02 back in the day, that with just a tune would run with any of the newer trucks or better, IMO.
Newer ones may have more tech and be heavier duty, but for most purposes, a LLY or LBZ Dmax is still one of the best rigs out there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.