cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new thermostat install problem

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing the original RVP analog thermostat with a Honeywell. The old system had 6 wires which I believe to be as follows:

Red (+12v)
Blue (-12v)
Yellow (cooling)
White (heat)
Green (high fan)
Grey (low fan)

Based on some interneting, I thought I had it figured out. Capped the 12v+, Yellow to Y, White to W, Green/Grey combined to G, and Blue to R/Rc.

It did not work... Thermostat is calling for cooling, but AC is not coming on. Any help? 🙂

original thermostat:

New Honeywell:
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
11 REPLIES 11

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
low fan wire capped off, runs fine. Project done. for the record, @Joe417 nailed it right away.

Thanks all for the help, it caught me off guard that the wiring is opposite for Dometic and Coleman. Thought it was going to be a 5 minute project!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would remove the low fan wire- hook it back only if the blower stops.
-- Chris Bryant

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
ok, thanks for all the help! switching the blue and red worked. I still have both fan wires tied together, the more I look into this I think different brands are different in their wiring (Dometic vs Coleman). Since I needed the +12v wire to Rc, I believe I have a Coleman AC unit.

But I don't know for sure which brand AC I have, it's ducted with an unmarked exterior cover, I'll drop the inside cover later and check for a label up there.

Once I know that, I think that will determine whether I should have the two fan speeds tied together, or just the high connected. But assuming it's Coleman, I think I should in fact remove the low speed wire.

In the meantime, it's working. My 5 minute project ended up taking a few hours and it was 90 degrees in there by the time I got it working! :S
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
you tube is you friend. Many videos on the very t-stat. On mine I had to disconnect the red. the problem was the t-stat wires had jumpers inside the wall and they used different color wires to get to the t-stat. You tube videos will scramble the original wiring colors.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I'm replacing the original RVP analog thermostat with a Honeywell. The old system had 6 wires which I believe to be as follows:

Red (+12v)
Blue (-12v)
Yellow (cooling)
White (heat)
Green (high fan)
Grey (low fan)

Based on some interneting, I thought I had it figured out. Capped the 12v+, Yellow to Y, White to W, Green/Grey combined to G, and Blue to R/Rc.

It did not work... Thermostat is calling for cooling, but AC is not coming on. Any help? 🙂

original thermostat:

New Honeywell:

Coleman uses +12 vac to energize their relays, so just disconnect and cap the blue (-12 v or ground) and hook red to R/Rc. This will provide the +12 vac to the relays.
-- Chris Bryant

Scooter_Alfa
Explorer
Explorer
Did you put the batteries in?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What brand of air conditioner do you have?

With my Dometic air conditioner, when I repalced the thermostat, what you did appears at first glance to be what I had to do...but not everything is the same.

I'd suggest trying to jumper together various combinations of wires manually to see what activates what. In particular, see if tying the +12V to the fan lines activates the fans, or tying ground to them does...and likewise for the heat and cool lines. I'd expect the same to operate both, though the cooling might not go without the fan. See what works for high and low speed fans. On the Dometic air conditioner, the "low fan" wire is actually fan on/off and the "high fan" wire is actually fan speed select, so for high speed fan both wires need to be activated (grounded). Yours may be different, particularly if it's a different brand of air conditioner.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Do the instructions say you can use this thermostat on a 12 volt DC system? Your house is 24 volt AC power.

The industry standard on the new thermostat terminals is:

Red = power in
White = heat
Yellow = air conditioner
Green = fan

On the old thermostat the blue wire is "ground" providing power for the thermostat between it and the red wire. Cap off the BLUE WIRE before you short out the new thermostat!!!!!!

If this was your house:

Connecting the Red wire to Yellow would start the air conditioning compressor.

Connecting the Red wire to Green would start the fan

Connecting the Red wire to White would start the furnace.

This thermostat is not designed to support a two speed fan. Cap the grey wire.

I don't believe you can get by with tying the high and low speed fan wires together with burning something up. Were did you find the information saying this thermostat is correct for your application?

The "B" and "O" terminals are only used on heat pump applications.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Put the Red on R/RC, cap the blue, and remove one of the fan speed wires. You only want one fan speed at a time. If you want to have both speeds available, install a small single pole double throw switch on the side of the thermostat housing which you would then select manually and the thermostat would turn it on and off.(You only need small wire for the fan as the thermostat should be controlling relays.)

If you can find a thermostat with a fan speed switch built in you wouldn't have to add the switch. I have seen them but couldn't find one locally when I changed ours.
Joe & Evelyn

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I remember on mine, I did color for color, and it was very easy. I am sure you do need +12 volts for a signal voltage.

I did wire my AC for high fan only.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't give you a complete proper answer, but my info from playing with thermostats is that:

Blue is for the Hi-Fan, and Ground is black or green.

On my furnace-only Honeywell, the two wires from the furnace go to W and R with R and RC bridged. I suspect your capped wire should go to R, but somebody will have to confirm.

Yellow is for the cooling (don't have that in mine)

Anyway, yes you probably have it wired wrongly.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.