cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Live plants on board?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody bring along any actual live greenery on their trips? I would love to keep a plant or two in the trailer while traveling, but am not sure just how well they would handle the jostling, bouncing and temperature extremes that can happen in a trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
5 REPLIES 5

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
Possibly Relevant Question: are there places where they pitch a fit when you cross a state border with a live plant in the RV? )

I suppose it depends on what type of plant you are trying to bring along. ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We travel in the Western states a lot and never had a HOUSE plant issue. When asked I always say we have some house plants.

Once we had tomatoes and green onions (tops only) taken coming into the US from Canada. That regulation came in to the US border agents that morning. Had a good discussion with the agent, I ate one tomato and we cut off the onion tops and gave them to him for disposal.

Firewood may be prohibited across state lines and is to be expected. At the Port Angeles ferry to Canada I asked what we could do with the firewood. He pointed to a truck and said when it's full the employees bid on it and the money is used to help local children. I was happy to donate.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, California inspects fruits, vegetables, and plants at or near our borders and rejects invasive species, plants that are infested etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly Relevant Question: are there places where they pitch a fit when you cross a state border with a live plant in the RV? (looking at you, CA). I seem to remember being stopped (in a car) some years back at the I-10(?) Ca border and quizzed about plants and veggies. (they were stopping all vehicles iirc)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, do it all the time. When traveling, they sit in the kitchen sink. At the campsite, they sit on kitchen counter (lots of light there). No problem.

Um... we have 2 dogs and a cat, and we started bring a fish with us too. We traveled with fish when the kids were little, never wanted another fish to deal with. Then the wife bought one for our grandson to take care of. And now, the dang fish travels with us.

So yea, you can travel with plants. Just bring them along.