Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hymer Sunlight Van 1 purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Hymer Sunlight Van 1 purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up my RV today at Monticello MN CW. I feel like I got exactly what I expected and Ron Denny the salesman said it was. I am so pleased with it. It is not as nice as the Winnebago Travoto but I did not pay anywhere near the price either. Only wish I have is that promaster had a tilt wheel. The telescopic is nice but I am a tilt wheel person. I tried to pay attention to all the features Ted showed me but the batteries and 12 volt system will need some study by me to make sure I do it right. I plan to turn the fridge on with the batteries as power and let it run. I will be on the road daily for most of the next week. I will not be plugged into shore power at all but will not be using any other power during that time. Every day should have at least an hour of engine use to recharge the system. Am I OK to think the lithium batteries will support this arrangement without issue?

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should be fine keeping just the fridge running. Glad it turned out well. There is a bit of learning curve, but the FB groups are good because at all hours there is usually someone online to answer a question.

Mumkin
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have now driven the van over 1,700 miles since Tuesday. Minnesota to Marquette MI in UP and now home to SE Indiana. I am pleased with it having finally had a chance to spend a night in it. Only problem I found is using the AC and invertor. We camped on Lake Michigan and when I went to use the microwave, I turned invertor on and then tried micro. It would not work and created a high pitched whine. I shut off invertor and then tried it again. Heard two beeps and then one beep and then I had a working microwave. So I tried the roof AC. Following same pattern it would start and then after 30 seconds kick off and the invertor area would whine. I know AC works as it was working on shore power, I know batteries have plenty of power and due to micro working I know invertor is working. So I put in an email to CW to have Ted in Monticello tell me what I am doing wrong. I have not tried plugging into shore power here at home because it has been too long of a day. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

wohtex

Day trips in our class B

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have your EcoTrek turned on?

Bill

2017 Sunlight V-1
Ram Promaster Van

wohtex

Day trips in our class B

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have your EcoTrek turned on? By the way I solved my no charge problem from the UHG, there are two in line fuses by the Balmer, both were corroded, cleaned the fuse holder and put two new fuses in, one is 1 amp the other 10 amp. now my UHG works fine.

Bill

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Eco trek wsaa turned on. Inverter worked fine after a little bit with Microwave. So when we were done I shut it off. hour later showing 13.4 on digital read out I hit inverter. I hear beep beep then beep. wait a little longer and turn AC on with wall thermostat. It starts up and then quits 20-30 seconds later.

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got into the inverter a little deeper. The inverter works with the TV and the microwave. When the AC is kicked on, it starts up and then ends up with the inverter showing an alarm code. I am not sure if I should hit the ecotrek reset button sometime in the sequence or not. I start with the ecotreck battery switch on, then the inverter on, then checked it with TV and it works. Then I try to power up AC and get the alarm. Tech is to contact me Thursday so we try and wait patiently.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really need to go over to Facebook where there are many users of this system and they can walk you through the dos and don'ts of running them. I stayed with AGMs because I'm just not into long learning curves anymore. LOL The only detail that I can pick out of your description with confidence is that you can never run the AC and microwave at the same time.

I would suggest that you also join the Aktiv Owners and Wannabees because they are mostly all Hymer owners and they have totally deconstructed these systems, put them back together with the changes needed... and they need quite a few changes... and are very helpful. There is also a group just for the Ecotrek systems. Since I don't own one, I haven't joined it.

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up: I ended up taking the unit to Beaver Motors where the facebook group says the experts are for the problem I had. They diagnosed that the inverter was bad. So they replaced the unit with a good used one they had and it has worked fine for two months. Per the instructions from the home page of RV.net I sent my experience to CW. A few days later Shawn from corporate contacted me and they wanted a copy of the $840 bill I paid. They investigated and told me they would pay for it. Then I got phone calls to verify my home address and my email. Both of which were on the initial communication. It sure sounded to me like the run around and stall tactics before the final shoe dropped and they denied the claim. Finally on Monday I called Shawn up and told him that this was crazy, if they were going to deny it, just get it over with. He assured me that the mix up was on their part and the check would be in the mail, yea right! Well on Tuesday, the mail man brought me the check. I know I read on this forum CW bashing, I for one will stand up and say they treated me right. I bought the unit "as is" but they were to point out all the working and non working features. I strongly believe that when they ran the AC with shore power every thing worked and they simply failed to check that the AC would work on generator since every thing else worked. Now everything worked fine and we have gone on two trips and are very happy.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear that it all worked out in the end. Nice to hear that Camping World took care of you, but it seemed to have taken a significant amount of ... nudging. LOL It shouldn't be that hard, which is why I like dealing with my small family dealership.

There will still be a learning curve. But the good thing about the FB pages is that you can almost always find someone online for quick help... or their extensive file sections.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Hymer Sunlight Van 1 purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS