cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling From Kingman, az to near San Antonio, tx

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
We want to go back to spring branch which is north of San Antonio, Texas for thanksgiving. We went there this summer taking 93 south to Phoenix and I-10 east.
93 is one of the worst roads ever driven on and I-10 was long and lonely.

I was thinking about taking 40 east to Albuquerque and 25 south to 10, unless there is another route toward San Antonio.

Any suggestions from you guys that travel all the time

Merrill
10 REPLIES 10

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
cudntherd wrote:
Another option is to take I-40 to Amarillo then highway 287 South to Wichita Falls and highway 281 South to San Antonio.

Wow, that's definitely the long way.

From many years personal experience, suggest I-40 to Amarillo. I-27/US-87 to south of Lubbock, where the interstate portion ends, but US-87 is still multi-lane. Take US-87 to Fredericksburg, turn left onto US-290. Drive to Johnson City and turn right onto US-281, then straight ahead to Spring Branch.

You could also turn onto US-84 in Lubbock and take it to I-10, then east to Abilene, then south on US-84 to Coleman, continue south on US-283 to Brady, then US-87 to Fredericksburg, etc.

I prefer the former route, as it has more multi-lanes than US-84. Both are fairly scenic (after about 200 miles of high prairie) and both have a fair number of RV parks. I do highly recommend the San Angelo KOA.

Enjoy your trip.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
We took US285 to Fort Stockton on the way to South Padre Island last year. It is torn up from all the oil construction. Most of it was OK, but one section they were rebuilding was really bad. That section might be completed now. But other areas are probably worse.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
My two picks are I-40 to Clines Corner US-285 all the way to Fort Stockton and then I-10 into San Antonio, or I-40 to US-287 and then US-281 south.

287 is slightly greener, and not quite as remote as you get in NM, but 285 has the benefit of a side trip to Carlsbad Caverns...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
majordad wrote:
We want to go back to spring branch which is north of San Antonio, Texas for thanksgiving. We went there this summer taking 93 south to Phoenix and I-10 east.
93 is one of the worst roads ever driven on and I-10 was long and lonely.

I was thinking about taking 40 east to Albuquerque and 25 south to 10, unless there is another route toward San Antonio.

Any suggestions from you guys that travel all the time

Merrill

I've made this trip several times. I like I-40 to Albuquerque, and I-25 to Las Cruces (stay overnight in Las Cruces, eat at LaPosta) then I-10 in Las Cruces all the way to San Antonio

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
This would make and interesting "poll" question!
Currently Between RVs

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I would take I40 east to highway 6 (20 or 30 miles before Albuquerque) and take 6 south to I-25, then south on 25 to I-10. Bypasses Albuquerque and cuts off a bunch of miles. Haven’t been on 6 for several years but many times before that and it was always a good road.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where Spring Valley is but I would take I40 to Clines Corners in New Mexico, Go south on US285 to Vaughn, East on US60 to the Texas border, Southeast on US84 to Lubbock, and then South on US87. That will get you to the Austin/San Antonio region and you can pick the best final leg of your route from there.
I've used this route many times and it works well for an RV.
Note that many New Mexico state roads are narrow and have 55 mph speed limits.
Currently Between RVs

cudntherd
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to take I-40 to Amarillo then highway 287 South to Wichita Falls and highway 281 South to San Antonio.

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't quite have the same requirements since we travel from Los Alamos, NM to Austin, TX. and going down I25 is out of our way.

But, the 2 routes we normally take are I40 to Santa Rosa, then US 84 to Sweetwater, then to Eden where we turn to go to Austin, but you can continue down to I10.

The other way is take US285 from Clines Corner to Roswell, US380 to Brownfieldn then US87 to Eden.

Usually we use the first route, but I usually use the other route one way if we are doing a round trip.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That trip adds only about 100 miles and avoids the dreaded 93. You can also go South at Flagstaff but going to Albuquerque will allow you to avoid the really long steep downhill out of Flagstaff. I think you have a good plan.
I have driven the 93/60 route many times and I guess I am just used to that route but avoiding it will make for a better ride for that short section of the trip.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?