cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying bird problem

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
We have some birds at home that love our motorhome. They insist they want to find spots under the MH to build their nests. We've blocked off some places they like to build nests, but they just find another nook that they like. Has anyone found a way to keep these pesky birds away?

Thanks for any suggestions-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
16 REPLIES 16

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we had a problem with birds around our pool. We tried a lot of different things. The only thing that worked right away was the fake rubber snakes trick. We spread four around the pool. Worked immediately. Have not seen pesky birds since.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I encourage the feral cats to hang around our place(feed them every so often). This keeps most of the critters away from our rig and keeps Chip-n-Dale's population in check as well.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
yep it's my wife's fault she keeps feeding them cridders LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I thought about trying a scare owl, but have heard they don't work very well. Might give it a try anyway.

I'm leary about hanging netting around the MH since it might give other critters an easy way to climb aboard.
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had a pair build a nest on top of slide out under the awning once. We had to stay an extra 2 weeks.
So for awhile we pulled in the slides, while we were gone, after checking, from the RV. Haven't been out during nesting season in a while and got away from doing that.

Stopping birds from nesting,drive a lot more, just kidding.
Underneath the coach I dunno.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've heard it said, if you get an artificial owl and set it out, it keeps some birds away. I've never tried it myself. I have found a good "mouser" cat works pretty good at keep birds in flight.

We have an owl that is powered by solarand the head turns. Bird built a nest right over it on one of the fan on our rear porch.
I guess the birds learn after a short time.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Yep my wife's fault she keeps feeding them, found using the pipe insulation up between seal as the slides open the seal improves greatly and the little pest stay outside where they belong. LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've heard it said, if you get an artificial owl and set it out, it keeps some birds away. I've never tried it myself. I have found a good "mouser" cat works pretty good at keep birds in flight.

An artificial Owl may work in country, where the birds know what an Owl is but the birds in the hood don't know what an Owl is. GRIN
I've found that pepper spray keeps most critters away.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i have a plastic owl and it works only if you move it a couple times a week.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starlings are a real nuisance, they make a real mess. .410 #4 bird shot is a good deterrent. I had a battery box under thhe nose of our fiver that I stored the slinky fittings in, one spring I discovered a nest with robin eggs on it. We had to wait until the hatchlings left the nest before I could move the trailer. The box got removed in the fall after that.

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
I had one little irritating black bird then there were 5 so I got a fake owl and cads and then PEACE i think somebody told me those annoying birds were Starlings and they are quite diff than a sweet
robin sitting on your fence.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Bird netting sounds like a good idea. You can get a roll, enough to last several years, in the garden department of Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a ridiculous idea but there are lawn sprinklers that sense movement and turns on to spray whatever moved. They may not work for birds.
The other idea is to hang netting all around the RV to close up the space between the RV and the ground. It may just have to be hung during egg laying season.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few realistic rubber snakes may work.