Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bicycle Safety
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Safety

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a truck camper on an F250 Supercab. I bought two Blix Vika+ folding,electric bikes. When not in use,they reside behind the front seats. I removed the folding rear seat and seat back. Plenty of room and very secure storage.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lock ours to the rear bumper, or the side of the rig furthest from the road. Not quite as visible to passersby on the road. If I have real doubts about the area (which makes me wonder why I would stay there anyway) I throw a camo tarp over them -- a couple yards of camo cloth from walmart. This hides their shape and color, and makes them even less noticeable from the road.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a long cable or chain to lock the bikes up at night. It's not perfect but I'm sure it keeps most of the thieves away.

As far as avoiding campgrounds that have a theft problem, that can sometimes be problematic. Here in San Diego some of the most popular and difficult to find openings are the beach campgrounds South Carlsbad and San Elijo . Yet these two campgrounds also have a high theft problem. So if you want to take the kids camping on the beach, you have to either put everything away at night, or take a chance that it could get stolen.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality bicycles are rarely stolen since they are stored inside RVs and TVs.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mittshel

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for all the great ideas. I enjoyed reading each one. We are in a nice CG in a nice little town. A couple nights ago there were two very expensive bikes taken that were locked up with a giant piece of chain. My husband always says no one wants our cheap bikes. But that is not the point. I am determined to prevent losing them. Thanks again. Betsy.

Betsy

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are bicycle lock chains and there are bicycle lock chains. The best are VERY heavy (too heavy for most bolt cutters) and cost a lot (>$100).

Best answer is, buy cheap/old bikes or pack them away when not in use.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a cyclist it's not uncommon for me to have a few bikes on a trip worth several thousand dollars. I use a master Python cable lock to my swagman rack and then a cover. While the lock could be cut, the rack can be cumbersome if you don't know what you are doing by the way it secures the bikes with 2 ratcheting top tube locks and a strap to each wheel to the tracks in the rack. Add that the cover is on them secured with zippers and straps and no one knows what's under there. The rack itself is bolted to the receiver and has a locking pin. Nothing is foolproof to a thief that wants something, but been doing this for 8 years and so far I haven't had a bike stolen yet. In the FWIW department, if someone were to steal a bike, my insurance would allow me to get a brand new one - which is more than DW will let me do. [emoticon]

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of options out there. As Way2Roll said, nothing is foolproof, but you can slow them down and discourage them from spending the time on trying to get them.

mittshel wrote:

We are in a nice CG in a nice little town.

Hmm... Can't be that nice if people are walking around with bolt cutters stealing bikes. We've never had an issue and we never lock our bikes while in our campsite. Our bikes are not expensive but they aren't big box store bikes either.

And no, buying cheap bikes is not a solution for people who really like to ride. Cheap bike are harder to ride and will leave you very sore after 30+ mile ride.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cable locks are useless, they can be cut with a set of side cutters. Nor will any old chain work, no matter how heavy, against bolt cutters. Hardened dedicated bike chains are very resistant to even large bolt cutters but are very heavy and expensive.

If a tree is handy we lock our trikes up around a tree with Kryptonite's best chains and locks. We can also use one of our RVs leveling jack legs to lock to. We also use cable locks that alarm when the cable is cut. On top of that we have motion sensors that alarm if the trikes are moved.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a toy hauler and keep them inside. My bikes are worth more than the 5th wheel; having them outside where they can be stolen is not a realistic option. Unless you're willing to have them stolen, take them inside.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Safety
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.