Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bicycle Safety
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Safety

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

There are lots of options out there. As Way2Roll said, nothing is foolproof, but you can slow them down and discourage them from spending the time on trying to get them.

mittshel wrote:

We are in a nice CG in a nice little town.

Hmm... Can't be that nice if people are walking around with bolt cutters stealing bikes. We've never had an issue and we never lock our bikes while in our campsite. Our bikes are not expensive but they aren't big box store bikes either.

And no, buying cheap bikes is not a solution for people who really like to ride. Cheap bike are harder to ride and will leave you very sore after 30+ mile ride.

You are naive if you think theft only takes place on the wrong side of the tracks. On my travels it has been the nice places that have had reports of theft. But that is where the nice stuff is so not really a surprise. That is not saying theft is a rampant problem. One of the places I visited it was actually the locals taking advantage of the clientele because they knew the type that stayed there. And when caught they were not the type of person who actually needed the money or item stolen.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can easily get a cable or chain that would be impossible to cut with an average set of 18-30" ish bolt cutters and very difficult with a large set of bolt cutters. You can't really get something that cannot be cut with a cordless grinder with a zip disc, however that takes longer and more importantly makes noise MUCH longer than 1 snap with a bolt cutter.
If you want to defend against average bolt cutters, large cable, like 7/8" or larger, or high tensile chain. Any bolt cutters you can buy at the hardware store or Horrible Freight will not get through a 1/2" grade 100 chain. Then the lock becomes the weak link to get a lock that will go through chain like that and not be exposed to grinding or cutting.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

You are naive if you think theft only takes place on the wrong side of the tracks. On my travels it has been the nice places that have had reports of theft. But that is where the nice stuff is so not really a surprise. That is not saying theft is a rampant problem. One of the places I visited it was actually the locals taking advantage of the clientele because they knew the type that stayed there. And when caught they were not the type of person who actually needed the money or item stolen.

And you are naive to assume that I was referring to "wrong side of the tracks", your term, not mine. Most of the problems I've seen and heard of were at these "nice" places that were in close proximity, or inside of city limits. Doesn't mean they aren't "nice" in the definition that most RVers use. We've learned there are far better places away from populous areas that simply don't have these issues. Nice in that RVers definition, and nice in that there are not theft issues.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

mittshel

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twodownzero-The guy with the two really expansive bikes had a toy hauler and chained the bikes up outside. Makes no sense to us.

Betsy

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

mich800 wrote:

And you are naive to assume that I was referring to "wrong side of the tracks", your term, not mine. Most of the problems I've seen and heard of were at these "nice" places that were in close proximity, or inside of city limits. Doesn't mean they aren't "nice" in the definition that most RVers use. We've learned there are far better places away from populous areas that simply don't have these issues. Nice in that RVers definition, and nice in that there are not theft issues.

Then I misunderstood "Hmm... Can't be that nice if people are walking around with bolt cutters stealing bikes"

I took that as it must be a bad place. And the place I was talking about with the stealing problem was one of those nice places away from populous areas. All it takes is someone in the community to be less than honorable.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

And the place I was talking about with the stealing problem was one of those nice places away from populous areas. All it takes is someone in the community to be less than honorable.

I'll give you that. Can happen almost anywhere from time to time. But if it's a common issue? That's not such a nice place then, wouldn't you agree?

mittshel

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. Here it is. Highlands RV Park in Bishop, CA. Nice, isn't it?

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mittshel wrote:

OK. Here it is. Highlands RV Park in Bishop, CA. Nice, isn't it?

It's smack dab in the middle of an urban / commercial area? Probably a good number of tweakers living around there.

[image]

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a couple of locks made by lock companies like Abus and Kryptonite that guarantee their locks against theft in New Your city (or anywhere). With these it is more likely a thief cuts the thing the lock is locked to like a bumper or pole than the lock itself.
These lock would have to be cut with a grinder as the metal is big and very hard, even a sawzall would take time.

With a nice bike you will have to lock the frame and the wheels and if you have a nice seatpost then you might just have to take it out.

Otherwise, put the bike inside where it is not seen, and keep it hidden all the time so people don't know what you have. Cover it with a blanket if you have to put it out while you are in for the day. They will be as bold to try to steal it while you sleep.

The only reason the cheap walmark or old Schwinns would get stolen is that the homboi is tired of walking and the owner made it easy for them.
Most of you have such cheap bikes you could put a sign on it, "free", and it would still be there when you get back..

One good solution is to render the bike unrideable. Remove parts like the pedals is easiest. Keep the front wheel inside. Flatten the tires.
But, if you have a carbon-wonder bike then any piece or part is worth stealing, so this would not work in that case.

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep them hidden. Or stay around and guard them. No lock will stop them; all locks are trivial to open.

My solution is somewhat different: My bike is so old and funky that nobody wants it! It was a fairly decent mountain bike back in the day (Kona) and still rides great but I've put some silly bmx riser bars on it with the wrong color, covered up the name decals with tape, and added a homemade rear rack. A flimsy cable lock is all I use and no issues yet; had it 15 years now. I don't take it to cities; the thieves may be less discriminating there.

David Kojen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicycle Safety
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS