Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Georgia for snowbird

Retired48
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
My first post here and looking for any suggestions:
Just purchased a class c motorhome and want to get away from the cold in upstate NY for a month in February.
Looking at only southern Ga. for the first go round as my wife doesnโ€™t want to do Florida yet. I know the temperature not as warm in ga but compared to what we get it will be ok.
Any help or ideas are welcome.
Thank you,
John
19 REPLIES 19

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Retired48 wrote:
Well I took the advice about the question I asked about snowbirding in Ga. and have decided on fla. It will be Flamingo rv resort outside of Jacksonville or Williston rv park southeast west of Jacksonville.
Thanks for the info all,
John

The people seeking winter warmth in Florida generally prefer south of I4 for reliably warm weather. Not that it will be bad in north Florida, but I've seen 20 degrees in Daytona which is much further south than Jacksonville.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Retired48
Explorer
Explorer
Well I took the advice about the question I asked about snowbirding in Ga. and have decided on fla. It will be Flamingo rv resort outside of Jacksonville or Williston rv park southeast west of Jacksonville.
Thanks for the info all,
John

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Anything you would recommend for the Valdosta area for a month long stay?

Several years ago, we had some service work scheduled at the Camping World on Exit #5/I-75 (Valdosta), and they had their own campground (Lake Park) that only charged $20 per night. It was really nice! It's directly south of Camping World - yes, it's along the expressway, but there's a lot of mature trees and I don't remember it being overly noisy.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
In GA we have lots of great days in the winter, they only problem is you will have 7-14 days in the 60's, and 2 days in the 20's. Staying in the camper, you probably won't have issues in south GA, but need to be able to winterize quickly in a cold snap. I've seen 75 one day, and 20 the next.

We are weekend warriors, and we winterize 3-4 times a year.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
And don't forget, it's not as easy to stay warm in an rv as it is your house. That cold air is under you too, so the floors get cold. Expensive to heat them when it gets too cold.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:

There is a campground called Eagles Nest that is supposed to be nice. We haven't stayed there yet, but we probably will in the next few months. My daughter starts college there in a week.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colliehauler

Reed Bingham State Park is a nice little place. Itโ€™s further north of Valdosta.

Thereโ€™s a campground off the interstate in Valdosta. No first hand experience.

Mike

M
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan, I really don't know anything about them in that area. When we get that far south, we are usually headed to Tampa area for the RV show in the winter. You likely will want FHU for a stay that long and the places we stay in that area are state parks. Ga has some really nice parks but not a lot have sewer. Many of the "RV" parks are really just trailer parks with a few spots for overnites and that sort of thing.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Macon and below:
Cordele has Veterans State Park with great sites.

Okeefenokee Swamp area :
Stephen Foster State Park will not be bathing suit weatherbut shirt sleeves usually fine.
Laura Walker State Park (same area and same weather)

Coastal:
Jekyll SP OK in winter but bugs in summer. Crowded sometimes
Blythe Island Regional Park - FHU and cable. They have a section esp for snowbirds
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
February...Georgia...Brrrrrr!
2010 Suncruiser

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
McIntosh Lake RV Park in Townsend, Georgia. We have stopped there a few times passing through but some people do winter there.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've gotten some good input. Feb here in Ga can be quite unpredictable.

We have been going camping for the past 3 years or so, in Jan, to Norther Florida (Cedar Key). First year, I thought.. WTH - it's Florida.. Took only a light jacket! HOLY ****. Next year I took my battery operated heated winter coat. And needed it.

If you want guaranteed warm, better head further south than southern Ga.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Something to ponder: until we went south of Ocala, FL - we spent a lot of time semi-winterizing when a cold snap would go through. Now hopefully your Class C has enclosed tanks and valves - ours didn't (don't forget that your low point drains are usually exposed to the cold). But after doing that a few times, we headed south. Problem solved ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!