cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaf Peeping

j_sgypsybuggy
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from Minnesota to Bar Harbor, ME and Acadia National Park in early October. Focus of the trip is to see the colors and enjoy the scenery. Wondering about suggestions for routes to avoid most traffic and see the sights. Suggestions of things to see along the way would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
8 REPLIES 8

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Love Foliage Network. This will give you an idea of when peak will be. Suggest you make reservations as it's the end of our season coupled with the leaf peeping. As far as avoiding traffic trying to stay off any major highway at rush hour. jkwilson's advice is excellent. Bar Harbor isn't an "early" town, i.e. it doesn't really start hopping until after 9 a.m. Still be prepared for traffic in the park-there are only a few roads and it's a very popular place.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you like waterfalls & hiking, I don't think you can beat Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. Within the park is a pair of streams with 21 waterfalls. Described as "strenuous" but that is mostly because of the steps that climb around the individual falls - I managed the hike the last time at age 74.

Because there is a considerable drop between the top of the stream & the bottom, you will find the season changes as you work your way up or down. The campground are dry, but bathrooms with showers. If you approach from the south, there is a 2 mile, 18% grade up to the park. Relatively flat from the north.

Some more photos here.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see...if travelling across New York state, Letchworth State Park has beautiful scenery and lots of hiking that isn't too demanding. Watkins Glen is neat, too, and very much in New York wine country. The Adirondiacks in general are lovely, too.

Vermont has the most craft breweries per capita of any state. New England in general is something of a hotbed of microbrew activity.

There's a good bit of hiking in the area. Some of my favorites in Vermont include Camel's Hump (partly because it's just down the road), which is a reasonably strenuous day hike but offers stunning views on a clear day; the trail system through Groton State Forest in the Northeast Kingdom, many of which are not mountianous; and Mount Ascutney, which is a pretty strenuous hike if you climb the mountain, or a relatively sedate stroll around the top if you drive the auto road up. There are many, many others. The Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire is a lovely drive and has many trails and lookouts to stop at, ranging from brief easy strolls (e.g. Sabbaday Falls) to full day hikes or perhaps longer.

The Shelburne Museum (Shelburne, VT) is large, interesting, and quite eclectic, probably best categorized as folk art if anything. I kind of like the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury, VT, which is basically a natural history museum with some miscellaneous other exhibits, and in some ways is kind of a "museum museum" in that it hasn't changed a whole lot in the better part of a century. The library (Athenaeum) in St. Johnsbury also has a very nice little art gallery.

j_sgypsybuggy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. We are looking for some suggestions about attractions and like that. We are outdoor people who love to hike (altho walking might be better since hubby has a compression fracture), hoping it will be 100% by then. Love to antique shop--wineries or breweries are wondeful. Just want to generally get away and relax. Appreciate any suggestions.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Since this year has been described as warmer than normal, it is expected that the leaf season will be later than normal, at least in the Adirondacks. You might want to keep an eye on the season using a "Leaf Peeping site". My favorite is the Foliage Network.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
The Adirondack Park in Northern New York State. If you are driving on I-80/90 East In Syracuse turn North on I-81 to Watertown and follow Route # 3 follow it to Saranac Lake and I believe it is Rt. #86 toward Lake Placid and Wilmington NY from there you can Head toward Port Henry and cross into Vermont. Very Scenic; but you may want to check for clearances and narrow highways from Saranac Lake East on your Garmin, etc. or a Truckers map.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kancamagus highway in New Hampshire is a must see.

Do not drive into Bar Harbor with any kind of large RV.

Traffic can be extreme along the coast Friday and Sunday.

Be an early riser to drive in Acadia. After about 9, traffic gets heavier and itโ€™s hard to park in the more popular attractions. Bus is free and well worth it after mid-morning. If you are up for a hike, the trail to the top of Cadillac Mountain is an accomplishment. Sunrise at the top is worth the early start. You can drive to the top if you prefer.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Do be aware that many campgrounds close right around Columbus Day in New England. Also be aware that Columbus Day weekend itself is the very peak of leaf peeper season--not necessarily the peak of the foliage at any given location, though it probably will be somewhere, but the peak of the people coming to look at it, and hence reservations are very strongly recommended for that weekend at the least.

Coming and/or going across through Ontario is pretty and generally not overly traffic-laden (particularly when compared with I-90), but it sometimes does seem to go on forever. Obviously you do have to be properly prepared for the border formalities.

What sorts of things are you intersted in seeing and doing along the way? Nature, hiking (strenuous or gentle), museums, wineries, athletics, cities, antique stores, touristy kitsch....? Similarly, how comfortable are you with roads that are not especially flat or straight or wide?