cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Guard To Protect Toad

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class A RVing and towing a Toad. Am thinking of putting the mud flap or hula skirt thing across the back to stop rocks from dinging the Toad. Any experience which of these is more effective?? About the same?

Thor Challenger 37YT flat towing a 2014 CRV

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Fisherman1964
Explorer
Explorer
Been a while since I've been on this forum but in my opinion if you're looking for great toad protection check out Protect-a-Tow it works well in protecting the paint and windshield along with many other benefits such as easy on/off, compact, effective and cost is reasonable. Also available on Amazon

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rear radiator. And a big flap. Dust rocks etc come from under the flap and hit the rock guard. Some dust hts the windshield ad over the top of the Edge.
our Saturn, former toad it hit the rock guard but all over the windshield and a good bit on the hood. It tumbled over the top of it at speed. And oil spray, and grease from being thrown from drive shaft u joints onto muffler. Fixed, that where we stored it greased it and wiped all excess off. They won't do that a truck lube.Stuff from under the coach and through rear radiator if you have one tumbles over the top edge of the rock guard but it protects the front end of the Edge very well. The guard that stretches flat in front from the tow bar to front of car would stop a lot of rocks and dust etc too. Just look at one on some body's ig to see how much stuff is on it. Air going under and around the Mh will go all the way to the top of or mh in the rear and it tumbles from under and around it too. I've seen some who looked cleaner and they were probably side radiators. Those aero tabs might help but then maybe not. Thought about extending the hitch to get the toad further back from the coach, but not sure that is a such a good idea. It depends on the coach and the toad as to what works best. We get some protection to toad so we won't tow without it.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
BTW, I've found it worth the effort to fabricate front wheel flaps as well. The underside and sides of my RV stay a lot cleaner when running wet conditions, road construction and other than clean road surfaces.

Thanks for that advise! I may well do that.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, I've found it worth the effort to fabricate front wheel flaps as well. The underside and sides of my RV stay a lot cleaner when running wet conditions, road construction and other than clean road surfaces.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
I took our full width flap off and cut it into mud flaps right behind the duals. I used the mounting channel from it to fabricate brackets to hold the mud flaps. No problems since including a trip to Alaska last summer. Mud flaps will do the job.

Thanks! Since I already have mud flaps on there will do our first trip as is.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I took our full width flap off and cut it into mud flaps right behind the duals. I used the mounting channel from it to fabricate brackets to hold the mud flaps. No problems since including a trip to Alaska last summer. Mud flaps will do the job.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info! I may just do our first trip with just the rv mud flaps and see how it goes.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
I don't have one and don't have any chips either on my toad. I suppose if you have a nice toad and the skirt is cheap, then I'd say it's worth it, but frankly, I don't really see the need.

agree. been towing since 2003 with nothing but the OEM mud flaps behind the MH tires. i wouldn't bother at all.

X3. We have been towing for over 20 years, no chips!
2010 Suncruiser

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I find that the full width mudflap causes more problems. I took mine off 14 years ago and no dings on the toad.
Jerry parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Under some road conditions, a full width flap will cause more dings rather then fewer. After repairing a number of road debris dings on our previous toad, we added a Protect-A-Tow and haven't had any more dings.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good mud flaps are sufficient IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
I don't have one and don't have any chips either on my toad. I suppose if you have a nice toad and the skirt is cheap, then I'd say it's worth it, but frankly, I don't really see the need.

agree. been towing since 2003 with nothing but the OEM mud flaps behind the MH tires. i wouldn't bother at all.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer