cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miles per day.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles do you normally drive per day and what is the most miles driven ? I normally try to do 400 t0 450 per day. A week ago today I did over 600 miles. Not by choice but due to circumstances, long story thanks to flooding in the Midwest. GPS had me on highway 2 in Kansas and all at once the road was closed at the Missouri River then the fun began.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
47 REPLIES 47

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I use to get home early on Friday mow a 1+acre yard with push mower, wash the car and at 5:00 am Saturday hit the road to Michigan. Usually got there about 1:00.
600 miles...And Sunday evening head back and get home at 11:00 pm. Lot less traffic, in Nashville, Lousiville and Indy in the 70s and speed limit was 75mph in most places...for second gear. Twenty dollars fuel in340 Duster or 400 CI Plymouth Fury. Not any more.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Until I retired I drove for a living. Have never understood how somebody could haul their family all day and half the night. Ok, you are on vacation, have a limited time to spend at destination. You create a danger by driving much longer than you normally work to get there. At least one day at the destination, you are asleep. I know it would be safer, and think it would be more fun to pick secondary "destinations" to drive a reasonable distance, stop, and enjoy yourself, get to the main destination more rested...

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Man, some of you guys are beasts for driving so far in one day. Back when I was in my 30's I could drive my CAR 12-14 hours, but not anymore (62 now). I have 4 "rules":

1. You are not in a hurry
2. If you get in a hurry refer back to rule #1
3. The 330 rule; no more than 330 miles and get there by 3:30pm
4. Never drive the motor home more than 3 days in a row without a day off

These seem to work well. BTW - I'm still working full time and not yet retired.

Al

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Rob, we did that once heading to California from TN when I was wanting to take a car out there to leave for our new vacation residence. We left MEM and drove 8 hrs. to Oklahoma City, OK, then we kept going all the way to Palm Springs, CA.

Way back in '96 we drove 466 miles the first day then we drove 1,258 miles the second day. Since it was during the summer months and the clock kept inching back (time change) the sun was up as we drove west until at least 9PM. We arrived in CA at something like 1AM.

I will NEVER do that again. We were exhausted but we were much younger then! LOL!

It's fun to say that we spent just one night on the road driving almost 1,800 miles!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first day we do about 500 to 600 miles but after that we try to keep it around 300 to 400 miles.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
So this thread shows up just after we get home from a 15 hour 925 mile ride Monday, leaving Elkhart Lake, WI at 5am Central and arriving home in NJ at 9pm. Complete with a bit of Chicago morning rush and a 30 mile detour off of I-80 in PA to avoid a pair of construction back-ups. Since I'm still very much engaged in the working world, the one-day drive back was necessary. On the trip out though, we took 3 part-days, leaving Saturday afternoon and "only" doing just under 400 miles, stopping at 9pm; the next day drove 3 hours in the morning to a visit with extended family until 7:30pm, then another 140 miles to a Walmart night, and finishing the trip at 2pm the 3rd day. Completely different way to travel than banzai runs for sure. We even stopped for an unscheduled breakfast at a Cracker Barrel that Monday to let traffic around Chicago die down.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
No more than around 400 miles per day. However, if it is windy back roads, we do less miles per day since it is more tired and time consuming.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The mileage measure didn't seem to work out that well. So whatever time we start out we look for RV Park at about 4:00 or a bit earlier. At night before we try to locate parks to stop at, about 400 miles, at the most an genrally don't make it. Though if near destination we ill press on.
Occassionally we are pleasantly surprised things like fishing lakes, that were unexpected t a stop and my alter travel plans for a day or two.
We like to be sat own about four or five and enjoy a good meal and see what there s to get into. Sometimes make a new friend or two.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
As a retiree I do not pay much attention to mileage. Our goal is to leave before 0900 and stop by about 2:30 pm. The miles are what they are. More if on an interstate and less if on side roads or if stopping for site seeing.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
old dave last week I loaded up my race car, left Thur morning and drove 200mi to a race track where I unloaded and raced 3 races in the next 3 days. Loaded up Sunday and backed this mess in the driveway about 9pm. No help just me. I do this frequently but some times it is 1000mi.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We full time (the RV is our only residence) but we also travel as a business venture so our travels vary depending upon need. We try to only travel about 300 miles per day but if the boss says it's important we can do 400/day. If there is somewhere along the way that WE feel might be worth the effort we have done a couple of 500 mile days just so we could play or enjoy that particular destination along the way. We do travel "at least" the speed limit except where the speed limit is 75 or above as we really like 72ish. You will get 1000 different answers from 1000 different respondents so what works for you is the right formula!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Our rule now is no more than 5 - 6 hours a day - and we MUST arrive before dark! We've been known to drive only a couple of hours if there's something on the way we want to see! Fortunately, we're retired and generally try not to be in a hurry anymore! As to how many miles a day? Depends on our mood in the morning. Sometimes use the Interstates, so miles pile up. Some days, we just choose to wander. It is a blessing to have the choice!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 86 years old , only been at it since 2001 .
Recently switched from diesel to gas

Congratulations on being able to still RV , tell us your secret .
I'm 78 so maybe I can RV another 10 yrs , I hope so .

Many people at 86 can't get into a Coach and sure couldn't drive
one .
However people are living longer more active lives so there may be
more seasoned drivers out there than I thought .

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I am 51 and when traveling with family we only have so much time. So I may knock of 300 miles after work only to do 600 the next day to get to our destination. I have traveled up and down the east coast and without a doubt I average 50 miles per hour taking into effect bathroom brakes, traffic etc.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b