cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Tradition Slide Issue

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at buying a 1998 American Tradition.

However, the slide has difficulty going out. It seems one side goes out faster than the other. One has to push on the corner of the slide, reverse it, go forward again, etc. to get the slide to finally go out. What is going on here, and is this possibly an expensive issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
IF this is a power gear Rack and Pinion slide odds are you have sheared a "pin" (there are 4 shear pins)

THe pins are located either side of the transmission/motor assembly and just transmission side of the rails They are in a SQUARE shaft. The most common pin is a 1/4" grade 8 bolt You will need to buy a longer bolt and some washers because you must keep the SMOOTH shank of the bolt allt he way through (No threads inside the square shaft) The alternate pin is a 1/4 inch roll pin.

If it's an ACCUSLIDE (Cables) one of the adjusting nuts came off

Other makes I can not comment on.

Does this involve pulling the slide out (ie. removing it) in order to repair?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF this is a power gear Rack and Pinion slide odds are you have sheared a "pin" (there are 4 shear pins)

THe pins are located either side of the transmission/motor assembly and just transmission side of the rails They are in a SQUARE shaft. The most common pin is a 1/4" grade 8 bolt You will need to buy a longer bolt and some washers because you must keep the SMOOTH shank of the bolt allt he way through (No threads inside the square shaft) The alternate pin is a 1/4 inch roll pin.

If it's an ACCUSLIDE (Cables) one of the adjusting nuts came off

Other makes I can not comment on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
After 30 years RVing, I bought my first RV with slides about 2 1/2 years ago (used). I would never consider buying a slide-equipped RV with a malfunctioning slide.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
If it were a cheap fix, the PO would have done it...

Yes, you guys are right. The seller said to me that this is typical for these older units. I disagree. I talked to a service tech who said repairs could be $5-6k as a superslide is removed with a crane.

Time to walk. Thanks.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
If it were a cheap fix, the PO would have done it...
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
IMHO, there are plenty of used units out there that I would wait for one without an issue like that. Might end up being expensive or leave you stranded if it gets stuck in the out position. If it were an easy fix, like an adjustment, you would think the seller would have already fixed it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it is in a bind and you free it to release it. my need a adjustment of some kind. you may need to look at it from under neath see what kind of unit it is.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide