cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

capital one credit card

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a long conversation with capital one about my permanent home address. They said I cannot use UPS store as my address. If I did not provide them with a building address they were going to cancel my credit cards. So I gave them the address of campground I am currently staying at. Anyone else have this problem?
23 REPLIES 23

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Crowe wrote:
Iโ€™m surprised to learn Capital One is a real credit card. I keep getting one in our post office box a couple of times a year. Our small Canadian town doesnโ€™t have delivery to the house.

Since 1994, originally Oakstone Financial.

Shortly after that they purchased the Chevy Chase Bank credit card portfolio. Was a fairly sizeable portfolio for the Northeast. Gave them the foundation to build into a pretty good size player today. They're considered one of the majors now. When you brand with Samuel Jackson, you're big. They're in the top 10.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m surprised to learn Capital One is a real credit card. I keep getting one in our post office box a couple of times a year. Our small Canadian town doesnโ€™t have delivery to the house.

Since 1994, originally Oakstone Financial.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with the OP's question but just wanted to comment on the overall issue of data hacking. I've had Capital One cards for years. Yup, they got hacked. So did the US government area that handles security clearances. So did J.P Morgan Chase. The list is endless, full of large retail companies, financial institutions and insurance companies. Sadly at some point almost all of us will get our data compromised.

Capital One has been stellar in preventing fraudulent charges. They are one of the most proactive credit card providers I've seen. But as is the same with campgrounds, if you don't like what you see or their policies then go elsewhere.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Oh I get it.

123 W 5th St (my physical address, not the post office address)
PO Box 11 This is a PO box at the local post office (which is located somewhere else like maybe 1313 Pine street)
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Maybe so as far as getting mail delivered. But if you call a plumber because your drain line is overgrown with tree roots; Or you call a roofer because it's raining and you have a leak. Do you tell them to come to your PO box?
123 W 5th St
PO Box 11
Anytown WV

Or is there an actual address you give so the plumber can find you?

As far as a full timer it sounds like a pain that is coming down the line because of anti terrorism regulations. I wonder how the bank validates the physical address is actually your address and not something like the nearest small town store or something.

The 123 W 5th is what you tell the plumber, or UPS, or Fedex. You have the PO box # as part of the address which is offical per the USPS, because the USPS does not physically deliver mail to the street address. Not everyone has the guy in ugly blue shorts coming to the box on the porch or a person in an SUV pulling up to a box on a post at the end of the driveway or lane.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
Maybe so as far as getting mail delivered. But if you call a plumber because your drain line is overgrown with tree roots; Or you call a roofer because it's raining and you have a leak. Do you tell them to come to your PO box?
123 W 5th St
PO Box 11
Anytown WV

As far as a full timer it sounds like a pain that is coming down the line because of anti terrorism regulations. I wonder how the bank validates the physical address is actually your address and not something like the nearest small town store or something.

By validating it with an ID and/or a utility bill.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
123 W 5th St
PO Box 11
Anytown WV

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Switch your mailing address to a PO Box before you go FT. Get all your cards and accounts you want/ need with no hassle. And if something changes down the road, deal with it then.

ime, post offices gladly allow you to use their street address + your POB number as anything else(eg, #, Apt, suite, etc) if someone requires that you have a "street" sddress. Ask them. Our small town southern PO encouraged us to use it to the point that it sounded like Policy.

So you'd list your box #456 POB address like:

joe blow
1002 Smalltown Street, Apt# 456
Anytown, State 00001

Added advantage is that UPS and FedEx deliver packages to them as well.
Bank software will instantly identify that as a PO Box and will almost assuredly raise additional red flags.

There are millions of people whose address is officially something such as;

John Smith
123 W 5th St
PO Box 11
Anytown WV

In a lot of semi rural areas where small Post offices exist that service small villages / boroughs/ towns, the USPS gives the residents a PO Box in said post office. They do not get rural delivery to a box on a post out front. You have to go to the post office and get your mail. They are all over the place in the Northeast. They also kind of suck since the USPS budget cuts. They may only be manned part time. If you get a parcel that will not fit in the box, you may only be able to get it M-F between 8:30 and Noon or Saturday morning between 8:30 and 11:30. Kind of a PITA if you work for a living

We've never had an issue in 25 years of living in such a location with a bank or anything else.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Switch your mailing address to a PO Box before you go FT. Get all your cards and accounts you want/ need with no hassle. And if something changes down the road, deal with it then.

ime, post offices gladly allow you to use their street address + your POB number as anything else(eg, #, Apt, suite, etc) if someone requires that you have a "street" sddress. Ask them. Our small town southern PO encouraged us to use it to the point that it sounded like Policy.

joe blow
Anytown, State 00001

Bank software will instantly identify that as a PO Box and will almost assuredly raise additional red flags.

Prob true, but we've never had any problem with it.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

joe blow
Anytown, State 00001

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

joe blow
Anytown, State 00001

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
njtony wrote:
Just had a long conversation with capital one about my permanent home address. They said I cannot use UPS store as my address. If I did not provide them with a building address they were going to cancel my credit cards. So I gave them the address of campground I am currently staying at. Anyone else have this problem?

Curious, are you a full timer? As we look at full timing in the next 2 years I wonder how banks will validate our "physical address" if you technically don't have one.

As part of our procedures at the bank I work, we are required to validate the address given. Meaning, if you are a US citizen you are required to provide proof of residence like an ID and a utility bill. Credit cards are slightly different than retail secured products and less prone to AML and terrorism funding so perhaps the rules are slightly different.