cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are these stickers needed??

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
Any need for the "Certified Green by TRA" and "RVIA" stickers on the side of my trailer? They both have ID #'s on them.

I usually remove any decals and pin striping from my vehicles and now my trailer. I prefer the clean and advertisement free look.

Thanks
Brian
24 REPLIES 24

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
The Secret of the Seal Revealed!

Manufacturers self certify their product. Well, that explains a lot, though I saw no reference to quality of what they build.

That certainly does explain a lot. It also tells me that those RVIA stickers are only for show and they don't mean squat.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
The Secret of the Seal Revealed!

Manufacturers self certify their product. Well, that explains a lot, though I saw no reference to quality of what they build.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:

A campground requiring an RVIA sticker is simply trying to eliminate school bus, and cargo trailer conversions (which look like **** anyhow), and is a simple foolproof way of doing this.

Charles

My cargo trailer conversion did not look like ****. It was very well done and received quite a few compliments.

Guess my friends setup wouldn't be welcome either...no stickers on it!

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
One word of warning. I have stayed in at least three RV parks that you have an RVIA placard on your rigs to stay there.

I wonder if that type of rule was adopted to discourage home built and school bus conversions. Have you had somebody come out to your commercially manufactured rig and actually look for the stickers?

Iโ€™ve seen the same requirement at campgrounds/RV Parks.

Iโ€™ve never had anyone look for the stickers, but I clearly have a commercially built rig.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:

A campground requiring an RVIA sticker is simply trying to eliminate school bus, and cargo trailer conversions (which look like **** anyhow), and is a simple foolproof way of doing this.

Charles

My cargo trailer conversion did not look like ****. It was very well done and received quite a few compliments.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
RVIA sticker indicates compliance with a multitude of requirements all rolled up in a set of rules established by the RVIA. It could be possible to run into a situation where registering or operating the vehicle or trailer as an RV is impossible without the sticker. Quite possible dealers would not take it in trade with the RVIA sticker missing, and knowledgeable potential buyers would walk away if the sticker were missing.

I do not know if border crossings (US/Canada) would be an issue, but a missing sticker would probably make a cross border sale impossible.

An RV in Canada that is missing the "Meets all Federal Safety requirements................" sticker would be impossible to import into the US, as this certification sticker is mandatory for importing into the US. This same sticker will have a statement about meeting Canadian requirements, and again, missing, makes cross border sales impossible.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Is this like cutting the 'do not remove under penalty of law' tag off a mattress or pillow? :B :B :B

It is.........exactly.

And while were at it.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Is this like cutting the 'do not remove under penalty of law' tag off a mattress or pillow? :B :B :B

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right (not always possible), there was a campground in Myrtle Beach that was very selective about who could stay there. Also along the Fla. Gulf coast.
State parks, COE campgrounds, and KOAs were never a problem.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Twistedlarch wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
One word of warning. I have stayed in at least three RV parks that you have an RVIA placard on your rigs to stay there.

That right there is what I am worried about.

I built a cargo trailer conversion, traveled all over the US, and never had a problem with not having any type of official sticker. No one ever asked. But we never stayed in any hoity-toity campgrounds, either.

Hoity Toity campgrounds LOL?

We host off and on at a nice State Park. No one gives a flying **** what sticker you have on your trailer, what sticker you removed, or what is certified what by who. Don't put your garbage in the fire ring when you leave, pick up your dog poop, and quiet time starts at 9 PM by the rule book. Psssssssst.... were not going to push that 9PM too much unless you're a juvenile delinquent, just the same as the no alcohol rule, just be an Adult.

If someone wants to sleep in a fold up Harbor Freight utility trailer topped with a blue trap and no trumped up RVIA decal more power to them.

Our Keystone TT we had a few years back, that almost went up in flames due to shore power connections left loose by the factory, had one of those RVIA stickers. They don't mean a whole lot.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Twistedlarch wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

I built a cargo trailer conversion, traveled all over the US, and never had a problem with not having any type of official sticker. No one ever asked. But we never stayed in any hoity-toity campgrounds, either.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Twistedlarch wrote:
Any need for the "Certified Green by TRA" and "RVIA" stickers on the side of my trailer? They both have ID #'s on them.

I usually remove any decals and pin striping from my vehicles and now my trailer. I prefer the clean and advertisement free look.

Thanks
Brian
Is there an easy way of getting rid of the "ghosting" after removing decals? I removed the name of our dealer they stuck on our TT. 4+ years later I can still see the outline of the letters.

Only reason to leave them on would be if you ever wanted to sell it into Canada which I would guess unlikely...

Are you thinking of removing the graphics too? Ours are starting to deteriorate slightly in a few spots at the edges due to shrinkage of the vinyl. I've seen a few RVs with graphics removed but it doesn't seem to look right without them. I wish I could remove ours because I know they're just going to get worse over time. We could have ordered painted on graphics when we ordered our TT at the dealer but we didn't want to spend the $$ at the time. Kinda wish we did now.

I used WD40 and a blue shop towel. took the residue right off my aluminum sided trailer.

I've removed everything except for the trailer tow/weight info.

Goo gone and Goof off worked well for me for removing the residue. I would test it on an out off site area first.

Brian

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
PNW_Steve wrote:

I wonder if that type of rule was adopted to discourage home built and school bus conversions. Have you had somebody come out to your commercially manufactured rig and actually look for the stickers?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup