Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Towing speed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing speed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Rustycamperpants

Sugar Grove, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set my cruise for 63

2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pretty much like everyone else out there.
I try to run at 65 and will switch in & out of Cruise Control based on the traffic flow and terrain!

A good rule of thumb is that for every 10 mph increase in speed you will see a 10% decrease in fuel economy.

I have only towed with my current set up around 4000 miles. So believe it or not I am still working on finding the sweet spot. I suspect that it is right around 63 - 66 mph! When you don't run the same route all the time it can be a bit tougher to dial it all in.

For those of you that tow at 80 - what the hell is your hurry? If you are in that much of a hurry take a plane! !

Happy Camping & Safe travels!

Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

I try to run at 65 and will switch in & out of Cruise Control based on the traffic flow and terrain!

A good rule of thumb is that for every 10 mph increase in speed you will see a 10% decrease in fuel economy.

I have only towed with my current set up around 4000 miles. So believe it or not I am still working on finding the sweet spot. I suspect that it is right around 63 - 66 mph! When you don't run the same route all the time it can be a bit tougher to dial it all in.

For those of you that tow at 80 - what the hell is your hurry? If you are in that much of a hurry take a plane! !

Last time i tried to check a trailer at the baggage check they said no.....weird, I know

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

Pretty simple math. So many miles and only so many days. You need to talk to my boss so I can get more days.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Pretty simple math. So many miles and only so many days. You need to talk to my boss so I can get more days.

Do the math on a rather long trip, You might be surprised to see that only hours can be saved, not days. Don't forget to factor in all those delays caused by slow pokes like me and others that commented.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have and it's days. I can show the math again if you want.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

My experience is with two separate RVs. On each I got a 50% increase in gas mileage for a 14% decrease in speed.

1. Class C on an E450 chassis - 70mph and 6mpg vs 60mph and 9mpg

2. Airstream TT behind F-150 - 70mph and 8mpg vs 60mph and 12mpg

I drive Memphis to Colorado Springs (1,000+ miles) to visit my sister.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

mnaquaman wrote:

My experience is with two separate RVs. On each I got a 50% increase in gas mileage for a 14% decrease in speed.

1. Class C on an E450 chassis - 70mph and 6mpg vs 60mph and 9mpg

2. Airstream TT behind F-150 - 70mph and 8mpg vs 60mph and 12mpg

I drive Memphis to Colorado Springs (1,000+ miles) to visit my sister.

I believe this. I got about 14mpg to Bend OR and back with the camper on the truck driving slower 2 lanes. 65-70 tops for most of the trip, sometimes slower, little 75+ on the freeway.
Straight to Spokane and back at 80, I get 10-11. Less if there's a headwind on the way back.
Noone doubts that driving slower burns less dinosaurs....but

KM Rolling

Byhalia Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow at whatever is a safe speed for the road conditions and traffic conditions. (also taking into account the max speed rating of 75 MPH on the trailer tires)

Usually it ends up being between 65-68.

I do get significantly better MPG at 55-57, but over 7 days driving, that extra 10 mph slower would make it 8 days of driving instead of 7.

RE: the OP concerns of "getting run over"... never had anything like that happen/or come close to happening. Even when in SD or Montana where most everyone is running 85-95. They just go around me, never had anyone run me over. [emoticon]

If they're jammed up because of a slow moving semi, if it is safe I will speed up a bit to lower their blood pressure. But they couldn't "run me over" even if they decided to try.

When not towing the trailer I ride a motorcycle as my daily driver. I do what is safe for me...on the bike and in the truck. No small part of that is staying away from the herds/clumps of vehicles all traveling fast and too close to each other.

I ESPECIALLY put a lot of distance between me and a truck pulling a trailer at 75-85, wagging their tail down the road.

Kevin & Mary
Byhalia, MS
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed
2018 Blast TH

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

I tow the 5er up to the posted limit but no more than 70.

X2

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing speed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.