Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: About to buy a TT, so confused, could use some help.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> About to buy a TT, so confused, could use some help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow double what my truck is rated to tow and I've never had a problem.

I'm not advocating you should tow double your vehicle's gcvwr but certainly towing what your vehicle is rated for is not a problem.

* This post was edited 08/07/19 03:04pm by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

GeoBoy

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing a TT that is at the MFG.maximum weight rating and 35’ long is just asking for problems in perfect conditions. Throw a little bad weather or terrain in the mix and you won’t be a happy camper.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. So many similarities. I live in CO so I traverse passes every summer. My TT is 7100 lbs dry ( really a fictitious number) and GVWR at 9500 lbs. When I go boondocking at 9500 feet, my loaded weight is 9100 lbs. And, my TT is a 26BHS, total length point to bumper is 30.5 feet, good bit less than what you are looking at.

The clincher for this story... we also have a 2010 Sequoia Ltd. That is my wife's vehicle she had to have to pull our TT. I have driven that combo of our loaded TT up and down the OR coast into northern CA, once. Since that experience, I've purchased a modern 1-ton SRW CC diesel truck and that is what tows our TT now. Granted, I also now bed load a 850 lbs ATV in my truck, pulling the TT over passes at 12k feet but the combo is a dream.

Something you need to know about the Sequoia, 2010 was a stellar year for tow capacity on that chassis. Although the other responders are dead-on with paying more attention to your payload, take a look at the tow capacity for the 2011 Sequoia platform. Automagically, the tow capacity dropped by a SIGNIFICANT margin all while the 2011 Sequoia platform didn't change at all from the model year 2010. Big OOPS by Toyota.

Having said all that, if you do move forward with that combo, you will know the true definition of white knuckle driving. Been there, done that! I don't believe you could find a closer comparison to what you're looking at.

I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I tow double what my truck is rated to tow and I've never had a problem.

I'm not advocating you should tow double your vehicle's gcvwr but certainly towing what your vehicle is rated for is not a problem.

Except the 2011 and 2010 Sequoia are pretty much the same vehicle (no significant changes) and have vastly different tow capacities. How does that happen?

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ It just goes to show vehicle weight ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyota clearly overspeced that vehicle. The transmission struggles keeping up when towing moderate weights, I cant imagine towing 10K with that platform. It is not often that an OEM overspecs their vehicles, but it clearly happened in this case. At the MPG you will getting with that SUV you could do it with any 3/4 gas truck and many 1/2 ton trucks and do it a lot more competently.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

RedRocket204

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never noticed any issues on our 2010 Sequoia tranny hunting or struggling to keep moderate power climbing the ascents while towing our TT loaded weight at 8300 lbs (RV park stays with less loaded weight). It was the short wheel base being pushed around by the much heavier and longer trailer especially when it came to descents. Yes, I am very familiar with gearing down on descents and properly setting up our WDH but it just-didn't-help. The Sequoia platform would be perfectly suited to a GVWR trailer below 7000 lbs. The towing specs on the 2010 Sequoia is a flat out lie and that statement can be supported by comparing the 2010 model to the 2011 Sequoia.

We still have our 2010 Sequoia. It wasn't cheap and it still feels like it is new but I've been pretty disappointed with some of the engineering aspects of that vehicle. For the most part, it is a very good vehicle, just falls flat in certain areas. Toyota could have done much better with regards to engineering value.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I sure hope you took a pass on that purchase. It would be like grafting a 6' long tail onto a beagle. Watch the tail wag the dog!

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

cfiore99

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have put buying the tt on hold. The loan is good till Sept 2nd. The owners have agreed to wait till then. So now we are frantically looking for a truck with the capability to tow it. Of course we have to find an affordable used one. Really hoping we can find one. Thanks for all the great info everyone.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably could but shouldn't. Lots of factors to consider when borderline overloaded; braking, acceleration steep grades, stress on trans, suspension, cooling, etc, etc.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> About to buy a TT, so confused, could use some help.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS