cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect switch

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Grand Design Transcend. It has a battery connect switch. How does this work? When I am parked in my drive should it be on or off? What about when I am plugged in?
8 REPLIES 8

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Check to make sure that it disconnects everything from the battery. Some leave the CO detector and radio preset connected. These will deplete your battery in a short time.

Almost everything. You should leave the trailer brake breakaway switch wired direct to the battery so they will still do their job even with the switch off (like when towing it from storage).
That's exactly how I installed mine. That way, if I forget to turn the battery switch on while I'm towing, my breakaway system will still work.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Check to make sure that it disconnects everything from the battery. Some leave the CO detector and radio preset connected. These will deplete your battery in a short time.

Almost everything. You should leave the trailer brake breakaway switch wired direct to the battery so they will still do their job even with the switch off (like when towing it from storage).

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
afidel wrote:
Abrahamseven38 wrote:
Are the easy. To install? I like easy.

Yeah, pretty easy, the biggest trouble with mine was researching to find what size ring terminal was needed and then actually finding them at Home Depot. After that it was: disconnect battery, cut the wire, strip wire, install ring terminals, mount switch, reconnect battery. It couldn't be much easier. I got This style.

Yep, that is the style I have also, you may need to get some wire also, but very easy.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Abrahamseven38 wrote:

Yeah, pretty easy, the biggest trouble with mine was researching to find what size ring terminal was needed and then actually finding them at Home Depot. After that it was: disconnect battery, cut the wire, strip wire, install ring terminals, mount switch, reconnect battery. It couldn't be much easier. I got This style.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Abrahamseven38
Explorer
Explorer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It needs to be turned off whenever it is disconnected from tow vehicle or power and not being used. Some trailers have the switch wired in a way that doesnโ€™t disconnect everything and that needs to be checked and corrected.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it on when using the camper, connected to shore power, or while towing.

When storing the camper, turn the switch off. This will prevent parasitic (phantom) loads from draining your battery. It's nice yours came with one.

Just sold our TT to our niece this week. I added one of these switches to the battery box since it didn't have one. I also added a solar panel, and charge controller, to the setup. This connects to directly to the battery, which allows charging even when the switch is off.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/