cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Sat Antenna & Receiver to Get...

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are on trip and this is the 4th location where we can't get TV signal w Winegard crank uo on roof. DW is not happy. For her to do more camping I am going to need to upgrade. I want to get a carry out, self acquiring HD satellite antenna and receiver. I know nothing about them. We have ATT U-verse at home via phone line. I would appreciate any recommendations or guidance on brands and how to compare pros & cons of systems. Am I correct we can use same to get Internet too? Note we have an upgraded smart HD TV in rig.

Thanks in advance....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
11 REPLIES 11

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Buying something you want but knowing nothing about it is...hmmm...interesting.

How helpful, why do you think I am posting asking for advice? Man...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

Jack_Kay
Explorer
Explorer
I also suggest DISH with a Wally receiver and a Playmaker dish (possibly a tripod). CW has sales on the grouping. The dish will self acquire the satellites and you will get HD. They have a phone app to allow you to change local channels when on the move.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
FMCA #F341229

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
trb46 wrote:
The campgrounds I usually stay at are packed with trees, so finding a clear shot to the satellites is sometimes difficult. I have a carry-out system, the King Tailgater 3 with the 211 Z receiver and use the Dish pay-as-you-go plan. When I get a good satellite signal, itโ€™s a great system.
I use the dishpointer.com app for finding a hole through trees when we're in a CG with lots of them. We're on a Canadian sat. service and use an 18" dish but no difference except for where a particular sat is in the Clarke belt. I've been able to get signals sometimes when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to figure out where to aim. Sometimes it can be a case of moving the dish just 5-10' in one direction or another to get through a hole in the trees.

The dishpointer app is also good when deciding what site to choose. I sometimes drive around a CG, get out and aim my phone in the sky to see if I can see a sat. I tell onlookers I'm just checking for aliens to see if it's safe there... ๐Ÿ™‚

I could be wrong, but a larger dia. dish on a tripod and manually aiming it might be able to catch a stronger signal when dealing with trees or other obstacles. Not sure how you can find an optimal location with one of those small self-aiming dishes.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Before you give up on OTA digital TV, go to AntennaWeb.org and check how far the closest transmitter are. It may be possible that you need new wiring and/or a better amplifier for the antenna you have.

If you get good cell service (4G LTE) where you camp, a "hotspot" (cell data to Wifi converter) will get you Wifi in your RV. With Wifi in the RV you can use one of many different internet "streaming" device (Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, etc) and choose one of many streaming TV services. You might want to change at home. I did and am saving over $50 month.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
The campgrounds I usually stay at are packed with trees, so finding a clear shot to the satellites is sometimes difficult. I have a carry-out system, the King Tailgater 3 with the 211 Z receiver and use the Dish pay-as-you-go plan. When I get a good satellite signal, itโ€™s a great system.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Dish. I just changed from DTV to Dish. When we leave in the motor home I can just call Dish and have receiver in house shut off and receiver in motor home turned on.. no additional cost.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Directv is not RV friendly and no carryout auto dish gets HD with DTV.

I submit another vote for DISH and a Winegard Pathway X2.

It gets HD and DISH lets you change locals whenever you want.

The Pathway lets you choose eastern or western arcs which doubles your chance if a signal.

DISH doesnโ€™t require a contract. You can buy mo to mo.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Buying something you want but knowing nothing about it is...hmmm...interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Get a DISH Wally receiver with a Pathway X2.

Then sign up for DISH programming.

If you don't want DISH full time, sign up for the Pay As You Go plan.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a start with DTV

No, you won't get internet. That's usually done via your phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will have better luck with this question in the Technology Forum. I will move it there. Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine