cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet RV is 300 feet from home -- WIFI /??/

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago I ask about how to obtain internet access at my RV that is 300 feet from my home. I received some good advice on how to transmit WIFI that far; however, I choose to run CAT5e underground. Last night the storm wiped out my Ethernet underground cable so I tried to find the conversation about extending WIFI but could not.

Your suggestion are welcomed again.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
10 REPLIES 10

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
what speed, clear line of sight?

Fast
Faster
Fastest

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
TenOC,

Try using google to search the forums, especially if you remember any "key" words.

I like to see new posts.... keep em coming.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Or run thru your old posts in the time frame that you remember discussing it.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
Ubiquiti.. Google Nanostation Loco M

Thanks, that was what I wanted
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

This is what I call a "Wi-Fi Modem" in that it is a Wi-Fi Client (or access point it operates both ways) with a LAN port (Plug in your cat 5) to whatever you have inside the RV. 300 feet is nothing over open ground to the Nano Staion.

3 MILES over open ground (No trees or hills or buildings) is doable.

I"ve done well over 100 yards from a house modem many times.

This is basically half a wi-fi Ranger (The other half is my house router inside the RV)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

This is what I call a "Wi-Fi Modem" in that it is a Wi-Fi Client (or access point it operates both ways) with a LAN port (Plug in your cat 5) to whatever you have inside the RV. 300 feet is nothing over open ground to the Nano Staion.

3 MILES over open ground (No trees or hills or buildings) is doable.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Read the reviews. All those gizmos have huge advertisements, when performance can be a different story.
I have repeater or extender to get camera signal from my gate.
About 150' from the modem, but across the house and the signal comes weak and 2nd repeater was even worse.
So IMHO redoing the underground cable might be still good option.
PVC pipes are cheap and that could shield the wires from elements.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a travel router AKA WiFi repeater such as the WiFi Ranger or similar with a rooftop antenna youโ€™ll have no problem picking up a signal from 300 feet.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TenOC,

Try using google to search the forums, especially if you remember any "key" words.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TenOC,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.